hd cd and memory order of installation

MONTYBLUE 12:16 18 Apr 2005

i have a zenith chaintech ZNF3-150 Motherboard
with an AM ATHLON PC3200 64BIT PROCESSOR.

CURRENT OEMS

A:1.44MB FLOPPY DRIVE
C:80GB HARD DRIVE WITH 18GB FREE
E:DVD/CD COMBO DRIVE
D:BTC DVD DUAL LAYER WRITER
1x512 PC2700 184 PIN DIMM MEMORY MODULE

UPGRADING TOO:

SEAGATE BARRACUDA 300GB SATA HARD DRIVE
LG-GSA DVD DUAL LAYER MULIT FORMAT WITH DVD RAM
will replace combo in drive e:

corsair tmx 2x512 PC3200/400 dual channel 184 PIN memory modules.

COMMENTS
What order of sequence do I install the above units and does the seagate hd come with cd-rom
wizard installer as this is in the process of being delivered by microdirect.

My main concern will be the hd cd installation
as i have no previous reference to fall back on
and want to know what pitfalls to look out for in respect of their installation pleas advise accordingly regards alan marsden.
PS SHOULD I ALSO USE THE 2700 MODULE OR NOT

Yoda Knight 12:25 18 Apr 2005

Are you installing the new HD as a 2nd disk or replacing the old one ?

The DVD can be put in at any time, so can the ram. The 2700 module will slow all your ram down to 2700, but you will have more ram available (I would install it)

MONTYBLUE 15:07 18 Apr 2005

thanks to Yoda Knight for your advise...

are you saying that the pc3200 memory chipset will be backwardly compatible alongside the 2700
and would the additional ram be more beneficial than the increse speed of the new pc3200 chipset.

The seagate 300gb sata hd drive is for added storage as the onboard 80gb windows partitioned
drive is an ide connection which is slower than
the sata 7 pin connection.what would you advise

does the seagate come with a cd-rom wizard installer how would the sata hd work alongside
the ide hd...please advise

DieSse 15:41 18 Apr 2005

1Gb of Dual channel 400MHz RAM is probably marginally better than 1.5Gb of possibly non-Dual channel 333MHz RAM.

I don't think there would be much in it either way, but for stability and compatability I personally would stick with the 1Gb of new RAM

Yoda Knight 16:16 18 Apr 2005

The new ram is faster, yes. But I dont think youd really notice the difference in speed between the different types in practical terms. But having the extra ram available to applications would mean less reading/writing to page files on the hard drve, which is considerably slower than accessing ram. A matter of preference I suppose.

I have my second drive as a secondary master and my dvd/rw as its slave. Again a matter of preference, but I like to think I'm giving Windows all the help it can get by keeping it on its own IDE channel.

"does the seagate come with a cd-rom wizard installer how would the sata hd work alongside the ide hd" - No idea, sorry

MONTYBLUE 22:26 26 Apr 2005

THE SEAGATE SATA 300GB HARD DRIVE MENTIONED
USES THE DISK WIZARD 2003 WHICH AUTOMATICALLY FORMATS AND PARTITIONS THE HARD DRIVE FOR YOU
AND COPIES OVER ALL THE FILES FROM YOUR OLD C:\DRIVE AND WILL LABEL THIS AS VOL.1 TO INDICATE THAT IT STILL HAS THE ORIGINAL WINDOWS XP INSTALLATION PARTITIONING.

AS THE SATA DRIVE HAS AN 8MB CACHE WITHA 72K/RPM
WHICH IS MUCH FASTER THAN THE OLD DRIVE WHICH RUNS
AT 52K/RPM WITH A 2MB CACHE SO I WILL PROBABLY IGNORE THE OLD DRIVE AND LEAVE AT A SYSTEM BACKUP
AS A FURTHER SAFEGUARD ANY FURTHER VIEWS ON THIS SUBJECT WOULD BE MORE THAN WELCOME.

2X512 TMX CORSAIR PC3200 MEMORY MODULES REPLACED THE ORIGINAL PC2700 FOR BETTER STABILITY
I HAD ALSO INSTALLED THE DVD RAM DRIVE AND THE SYSTEM IS BLISTERING FAST

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?