Having trouble using Kaspersky

puma0377 00:17 25 Oct 2006

I tried using the free trial of kaspersky via PCA dvd, was previously using mcafee via aol subscription. found web pages wouldnt load properly or very slowly so had to uninstall kaspersky. Tried aol's freebie, found via download.com aol themselves kept quiet about this one, downloaded aols active security monitor with no problems, tried to install kaspersky v5 also free via aol, but i cant get it to install are there any known issues with kaspersky 6 and aol? tried to completely uninstall mcafee, but cant seem to get rid of it all. I still have the firewall, but would really like to take advantage of the 180 day free trial of kaspersky. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ptolemy 01:02 25 Oct 2006

It may be you can't install KAV because you haven't removed all of McAfee.

I went from McAfee Av to KAV 6 so it can be done.

Click "start" - run and type: msconfig - untick any applications that begin with "Mc"

Start up in Safe Mode (keep pressing F8 during the boot process) - go into add-remove program and remove every McAfee thing you can.

Then search for "McAfee" file and folder and delete them.

Restart, and you should be Mc free - you might want to check and remove the McAfee ActiveX component - best done using Spybot (advanced view - tools).

KAV is by far the best AV I've experienced and worth a bit of aggravation.

I don't know if the free trial has a firewall, if not try Zone Alarm (free) click here

puma0377 23:23 27 Oct 2006

Thanks, i had so much aggro I installed avast,which I'm quite impressed with so far, it seems to have found trojans in a couple of my real arcade games which mcafee never flagged up, plus the computer boots up so much quicker now. but as I couldnt quite get rid of the mcafee I'm still using the mcafee firewall. I tried the Zone alarm firewall some time ago, but i think there are known issues with zone alarm and aol.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?