Having a nightmare with a dell dimension 2350.

I-W 13:13 30 Mar 2006

For a while now I'v been plodding along quite nicely using 2 hdd (1 20GB + 1 80GB)in the dell, one with wondows xp and the other with all files and folders. But the other I done a clean re-installation of window xp and this is where its all gone pear shaped.

After installation I plugged in the 80GB drive only to lose all IDE devices, 1 dvd rom, 1 cd rom, 1 floppy and both HDD. All the jumper connections are fine and there are no lose connections. The 80GB hdd doesn't even show up under hardware devices. What can I do?

ACOLYTE 13:22 30 Mar 2006

Can i asked why you needed to unplug the 80G drive while you formated is it an external drive?

Have you looked in drive managment for the devices they should all be listed there.If not you could try uninstalling the IDE controllers in device manager and letting windows find and install them again on next boot.

I-W 13:34 30 Mar 2006

I unplugged the 80GB drive because in the past, while in a hurry to install xp i installed over the wrong HDD and lost everything.

I-W 13:40 30 Mar 2006

I'v uninstalled the ide drivers, restarted and still nothing. Won't boot up.

rawprawn 15:27 30 Mar 2006

Can you try another IDE cable

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:53 30 Mar 2006

Boot tyo BIOS and detect all drives (F3) set the CMOS to auto recheck jumpers and cables.
How did you disable IDE channels if yo cannot boot to windows?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse's new logo: the trainer brand looks to its heritage for a fresh identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?