Have MS Office Publisher. Do I need FrontPage?

Sparrowhawk 14:21 21 Oct 2004

Hello,
I have MS Office Publisher with my MS Office install.

Do I need FrontPage?
What functions will it bring?

Can I start the design with MS Publisher and modify it later and easily with FrontPage?

Thanks in advance,

dth 15:55 21 Oct 2004

Although Publisher can be used for website design it is pretty poor for this and produces lots of extra not needed code.

Taran 12:42 22 Oct 2004

Publisher not only produces bloated code, it often coverts text blocks into GIF images, making long-term site maintenance a real chore and preventing search engines from indexing the page content properly. This means your content is not accessible at all to anything other than a graphical browser and it slows page load times down.

Whether you go for FrontPage or not, you do need a dedicated web authoring program of some description if you want to do the best job you can on your site.

Forum Editor 18:12 22 Oct 2004

you can't edit a Publisher site in FrontPage. Well you can, but to a very limited degree, and there would be no point. The others are right - Publisher is hopeless at produding anything but the most basic of basic sites, and you may as weoll forget it if you're at all serious about site design.

Sparrowhawk 18:26 22 Oct 2004

Thanks,

It means I must wait for MS Front Page and not waste too much time designing a web site with MS Publisher (knowing I get MS Front Page next week - hopefully).

Correct??

hiredagent 17:51 24 Oct 2004

Although frontpage is a good web desighn package you can get better. I advise dreamweaver from Macromedia, you will love it once you get you hands dirty. You can make your site with HTML, or if your a real beginner you can use the view mode too. You can download a free trial of it at click here but be warned, its almost 100MB!!

If you can't afford the hefty price tag then I advise you get at least frontpage. Its alot better than publisher.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone