Have I a problem with my Internal Memory?

armstrongpiper 22:40 11 Feb 2010

My Computer is a Dell Inspiron 1100 using 2 x 512 PC3200 DDR memory cards. The machine is running a bit slower than it used to do, but is starting to completely freeze up at what seems to be random intervals, sometimes when reading a web page, others when using a link from an email.
Not being wholly computer literate, I wonder if these symptoms indicate a Memory Card failing, or is it something else? Please don't laugh at my ignorance !!! Pointers to the possible cause would be much appreciated.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:43 11 Feb 2010

Does it unfreeze or do you have to reboot?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:46 11 Feb 2010

FReeezing PC

1. Overheat due to faulty / blocked fans

2. PSU voltages

3. Household power surges fridge etc switching on/off

4. faulty memory stick try memtest click here

5. virus or spyware scan for both especially if shutting down with in a few minutes of switch on or internet use

6. driver conflicts especially grahics cards get the latest drivers for your equipment

a) Clear out all temporay files and folders -- use Crap Cleaner click here

b) Scan for malware spyware and viruses --Free Anti Spyware :-
Superantispyware click here
Malware removal tool click here

Free Antivirus software
Avast4 click here
or
AVG antivirus click here

c) Clean the registry -- Use the tool in Crap Cleaner its very safe and also allows you to back up the registry first.

d) Pagefile (Virtual Memory) -- Rght click MY Computer - select propeties - Advanced tab - Performance - advanced tab - Virtual memory click change, you can put the page file on a differnt drive (if you have one), click custom size and set Initial size to one and a half times the amount of memory you have fitted i.e. 512MB memory = set to 768MB, set maximum to double your memory amount i.e. 512MB memory = 1024MB click ok.
If your hard drive is full and there is not enough room for the pagefile this can slow down, freeze or even cause the PC to crash (restart).

e) Cut down on the programs that load at startup -- Start - Run type msconfig - startup tab- untick everything except for firewall, antivirus and antispyware

and the services that run in the background. click here

armstrongpiper 23:17 11 Feb 2010

Thanks for all this helpful advice. The machine doesn't unfreeze itself, and the only way I can see to get out of nit is to switch off at the wall socket. I have run several virus detection programmes and cleaned the registtry numerous times, and also used Crap cleaner. The virtual memory setting is at 1462. I have unticked some of the unessential start-up items. I had the side panel off the machine this morning and blew out some dust, but there wasn't much and there's a good airflow from the fan. So, I'll try again and come back an update, if I may. Thanks again.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 23:48 11 Feb 2010

Failing memory
failing PSU
driver conflicts

lotvic 01:33 12 Feb 2010

Instead of switching it off at the wall socket -

press and hold in the power button on the tower for about 5-10 seconds and it will shut down.

lotvic 18:21 12 Feb 2010

Have you run the Dell Diagnostics program?
It tells you how to do this in the manual.
The diagnostics program will test all the components for you and report any problems.
I believe the Inspiron 1100 has this installed, check in the Manual click here

rdave13 19:14 12 Feb 2010

Cleaned the registry. Some reg programs make the problem worse.
'Run several virus detection programs'; hopefully only one antivirus that will have a real time scanner. As for antimalware/spyware make sure that only one has a real time scanner. If not they will conflict and can slow your PC.

armstrongpiper 17:34 14 Feb 2010

I have run the Dell Diagnostics programme fully and no faults were found at all. I have removed 10.2 Gb from the harddisc C by uninstalling all the Flight Simulator and add-on aircraft and scenery files, so loading has gone down to 30.5 from 40.7 Gb on what is nominally an 80Gb drive. The PC is now niticably quicker to initialise anything and hasn't as yet frozen on me. I wouldn't have thought the harddisc was overloaded, but something has been done to give a big improvement.
Thanks again for help given

Neil B

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

The secrets of creating gory VFX

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache