have i made bad recovery discs

kim52 01:16 23 Sep 2010

i have had to have a new motherboard in my laptop it is only 8 month old so was done by the tech guys i got it back with factory settings and now it tells me windows is not genuine the recovery discs i made will not work and the tech guys say it is my fault because i made bad copy of the disc currys are refusing to do anything about it how can i have made bad copy the disc was new and i followed on screen instructions any advice would be helpful

mgmcc 11:21 23 Sep 2010

Changing the motherboard has triggered "Windows Activation" because it now sees it as having been installed in a different computer. I'd suggest phoning the Microsoft Activation line, explain the situation and get them to activate Windows over the phone.

0203 147 4930 or freephone 0800 018 8354

Once activated again, create a new set of Recovery Disks. These probably also failed because of the changed motherboard.

gengiscant 12:45 23 Sep 2010

Or take it back to Curry's and tell them what 'mgmcc' has posted,their tech people should know full well that the reason the disks and Activation are now causing you problems is because of the new motherboard.

kim52 00:15 29 Sep 2010

thanks for the advice i've tried telling the tech guys who are totally useless i've spoken to 5 different advisors now one even admitted it was because the motherboard had been replaced even spoken to customer services and thought i was getting somewhere when she got in touch with hp and all the store manager had to do was fill in a claims form and return it to them and they would have sent me new discs but he's apparently to busy to fill it in so i was offered a £15 voucher as a jesture of good will what a joke i've now written two letters of complaint and if i don't get a satisfactory answer within 2 weeks trade and standards are going to take up the case so hopefully all will be resovled

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?