have i got a virus

karl1483 04:31 10 May 2003

i recently posted ref problems with ie6 telling me that there was a problem and needed to shut down,well this problem seems to have stopped after i reinstalled it howver my pc is still randomly shuting its self down and more bizarely after its last shut down when it restarted it would not recognise my monitor,and would only allow the a colour rate of 4bit. well after several mins screaming and shouting i rolled it back to my last restore piont hey presto everything great.i recently was told by my anti-virus software that it had quarantined a virus when i tried to see what it was i couldnt.i am using win xp pro on a athlon 2000+ with a g4ti 4200 128mb and 512 ddr

any ideas karl
i am going to format i think

you may well be pushing your power supply too hard that can cause the machine to restart out of the blue, as to the virus i'm not sure. you dont mention what AV software you use.

karl1483 05:04 10 May 2003

hi
i am useing mccaffe virus scan online av software, and also i have an atx 300w power suply.
does that help at all.and it has only just started and i have had new proccessor and board for three months.
karl

powerless 07:07 10 May 2003

Are you using online Virus checks as you AV software?

If you are, you really need a dedicated AV scanner. You shouldn't rely on the free online checks.

click here is a free AV scanner used by many people on this forum. Download, install and update. Now run it and you will then find out if you have a virus.

It is possible that the virus is stuck in the restore folders (where XP puts its restore points). The only way to delete these is to turn of system restore and turn it back on again. But you will loose all your Restore points.

(The above assumes its a virus)

If your system is restarting then we have to find out how to stop it (obviously). At the moment you have Windows to shutdown if a problem is detected. But there is some valuable information not being displayed when it does this. To show the information that we need you have to tell XP not to restart when there is a problem.

Start > Comtrol Panel > system > Advanced > (Third) Settings > Remove the tick from "Automatically Restart" > Click ok

When your computer decides to restart on its own note down the exact info displyed and post it on here.

karl1483 17:07 10 May 2003

mant thanks powerless
i have done what you syggested lets wait and see what happens

karl

karl1483 14:41 11 May 2003

hi powerless
i think this is the info you want.girlfriend useing computer and this is what screen said
stop:0x000008e (0xc0000005,0xbf80255e,oxee0ecc58,0x00000000}
win32k.sys-addressbf80255e,atbf800000.datestamp 3db6d462
beginning physical memory dumb
memory dumb complete
thats it in anticipation
karl

powerless 14:54 11 May 2003

When you reinstalled it was it clean install or did you just copy over the exisiting XP installation?

powerless 14:56 11 May 2003

When you reinstalled Windows XP was it a clean install or did you just copy over the exisiting XP installation?

powerless 15:12 11 May 2003

I do not seem to be able to find anything about the blue screen you are recieving. (maybe someone else can find something?)

When windows does anything really, when you logon and logoff, install hardware, software it makes a note of every system event.

This restart problem you are getting will be saved to a log - now it will tell you the same info as the blue screen but it will (it should) contain a link to the microsoft website. It will hopefully tell you what the problem is in plain english and provide you with a fix.

To see this log > Go to > Start > Run > Copy and Paste:

eventvwr.msc

Click ok.

Now click on the SYSTEM and APPLICATION logs and look for ERROR (in red). Click the log and look for the blue screen message. If there are mulitple erros then just match up the times (the blue scrren when the girlfriend was on the computer) and it should give the correct log.

Click the link in it and with a bit of luck there will be a fix.

If there is not post back, i've got a few more ideas ;-)

karl1483 23:32 11 May 2003

many thanks powerless
done all you suggested and spent time on knowledgebase.every error showed said there was nothing the user could do.still giving me black screen
im at work now but from what i recall all the problems were related to java virtual machine and me not entering correct passwords on boot up, i think i will just format and reload windows and see what happens,as the problems only accured after putting service pack 1 for both ie6 and xp maybe this is the problem.i know win 98 like the back of my hand and am tempted to go back to it but cant nftsed hard drive.bit of a novice with xp ill muddle through any suggestions or installation tips with xp greatly appreciated

karl

karl1483 23:33 11 May 2003

many thanks powerless
done all you suggested and spent time on knowledgebase.every error showed said there was nothing the user could do.still giving me black screen
im at work now but from what i recall all the problems were related to java virtual machine and me not entering correct passwords on boot up, i think i will just format and reload windows and see what happens,as the problems only accured after putting service pack 1 for both ie6 and xp maybe this is the problem.i know win 98 like the back of my hand and am tempted to go back to it but cant nftsed hard drive.bit of a novice with xp ill muddle through any suggestions or installation tips with xp greatly appreciated

karl

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires