Have I got a virus?

Mike_R 14:51 21 Feb 2009

I was paging through the internet with Firefox and I inadvertently clicked on something. A message came up displaying the Vista security logo and saying that I had three viruses, one a trojan, and a virus search program(?) started to download. I hurriedly deleted the screen and ran Norton and Windows Defender scans which said that the PC is clean. Subsequently I had a quick look at the Yahoo anti-spy logo but I don't think that I went into that.
Can anyone advise me on what I went into, and whether there are any further checks I should do to ensure that I do not have a virus.

crosstrainer 14:55 21 Feb 2009

I wouldn't rely on defender...Download, install, update and run:

click here

And:

click here

Top right hand corner of the screen.

And for total safety:

click here

Run them all and report back.

tullie 14:55 21 Feb 2009

If you have done a full virus scan you will be ok i assums.

User-1229748 15:01 21 Feb 2009

you may have caught it just in time,what did you click on to delete the screen? when that happens to me i don't click on the screen at all i just click restart on my lappy and luckily when my lappy restarts it's been gone.if you wanted to make sure then download,update and run malwarebytes and superantispywareclick here

User-1229748 15:02 21 Feb 2009

sorry my typing is embarassingly slow :o(

crosstrainer 15:12 21 Feb 2009

Mine will slow down over the course of the next few hours :)) (Having a few glasses of vino)

birdface 15:16 21 Feb 2009

Looks like you may have stopped it on time.it happened to me a couple of times.I had AVG resident shield switched off as it takes up so much of the CPU but since switching it back on I have had no further problems.I also had background guard on A squared switched of for the same reason but now have both running.
You really have to be very quick to stop them from downloading so you were lucky whether they may leave anything on your computer I am not sure.maybe check msconfig that nothing has been put on there.Or if you can remember the program that was trying to download maybe .start and search and see if that comes up with anything.
You need something with full time protection to stop any more problems.
Obviously Norton is not up to it.So maybe you need the latest version or maybe think of shifting to something else.

Mike_R 18:05 21 Feb 2009

Thanks everyone. I ran the programs recommended by crosstrainer and only found umpteen cookies and temporary internet files which I cleared out. No viruses were reported.
I had the Norton firewall on when the problem occurred. It is the 2008 vrsion but is kept up-to-date.

nepakabintas 19:11 21 Feb 2009

hello! i just discovered a brand new site and i really felt like sharing with you!
click here - it is a penny auction, where you can buy all brand new items like laptops, iPod's, LCD TV's, Nintendo Wii, digital camera's, PC and even cars! for a few pennies. IT IS REALLY MAD! but it is true, come and take a look and register. Registration only takes couple of minutes, and in few moments you my win a brand new laptop or TV!
it is all in here - click here - i am waiting for you, Don't miss this chance to grab a superb bargain for a few pennies. click here
thank you, yours sincerely Thomas Cook.

rdave13 19:14 21 Feb 2009
  birdface 19:36 21 Feb 2009

Hi.If I can remember right it left something in my temporary Files.Once they were removed I found no other trace of them.And if you ran C Cleaner that would have got rid of them.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone