Have I got a duff DVD writer?

Dark Knight 11:51 21 Jan 2007

Folks,

I was given an old DVD writer for my new PC build. I have added it in (set as slave drive). All seemed to run OK. When I open my computer its tag says DVD-RW drive (E:). Under properties its says the device is Pioneer DVD-RW DVR-109 SCSI Cd Rom Device and that it is working properly.

However, although the device reads CDs fine, it is not picked up as a DVD writer in Nero (or media player). I would also have expected a 'recording' tab in the device properties but alas there is none.

Has the device gone wrong? Is there anything further I can try?

I am using XP home

Stuartli 12:11 21 Jan 2007

Perhaps the DVD laser has packed up.

In any case, with the very latest DVD rewriters costing £20 or less covering everything except, perhaps, LightScribe, is it really worth compromising with a "new PC build"?

Dark Knight 13:48 21 Jan 2007

why would I have wanted to spend £20+ on something I already had and does exactly the same job? If I had known it was not working I would have bought a new one!!!

Still despite my tinkering, and lack of solutions, it looks like I will have to buy a new one.

Cela Vie. nothing lost!

Stuartli 17:20 21 Jan 2007

You do mention that it's an SCSI device.

Device Manager will usually state that an optical device is working correctly even if a laser has packed up.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

Les meilleures applications pour enfants 2017