Have I boobooed on RAM order?

newearwax 17:06 11 Feb 2008

I am concerned lest I have made a mistake. I ordered 2x 512 PC2700 DDR SDRAM to upgrade my memory, using the recommeded part number, but inadvertently ticked the option for a version of nVidia nForce2 chipset, mine being n Force2.
As a result the order being despatched bears a different part number, and also is for PC3200 DDR SDRAM. The contact at the supplier has assured me, the new RAM should work. However having looked at the main board hand book, I am confused , that it will work and work asefficiently as it should. The last line of the mainboard details below bugs me especially.

Your guidance will be most appreciated..

From mainboard handbook

The mainboard provides:
> 2 DDR SDRAM DIMMs to support Dual Channel DDR2661333,
max. 2GB (nForce2 IGP only)
> 2 DDR SDRAM DIMMs to support Single Channel DDR26613331400, max. 2GB (nForce2 400 only)
You can install DDR400 (nForce2 400 only)/333/266/200 modules on the DDR DIMM slots (DIMM 1?2).

From Everest
Motherboard:
CPU Type: AMD Athlon XP, 2000 MHz (15 x 133) 2400+
Motherboard Name: MSI K7N2GM-L (MS-6777) (3 PCI, 1 AGP, 1 CNR, 2 DIMM, Audio, Video, LAN)
Motherboard Chipset: nVIDIA nForce2 IGP
System Memory: 512 MB (PC2700 DDR SDRAM)

Technotiger 17:18 11 Feb 2008

Hi, the 3200 will work, but only at the speed of the slower 2700 - I doubt if you would actually notice any difference though.

Joe R 17:23 11 Feb 2008

Can only reinforce what Technotiger has already stated, the pc3200 ram will work fine in your system. but will only run at pc2700 speed.

DieSse 18:31 11 Feb 2008

I an assuming from what is aid, that you only have two RAM slots, and that these support dual-channel working, as you have the nForce2 IGP version of the motherboard.

Your manual says that PC3200 is NOT supported on your version motherboard. They are clearly NOT guaranteeing that 400MHz RAM will work in your version of the motherboard.

The fact that your motherboard supports dual-channel working is almost certainly the reason for the lower speed RAM support - the timings for dual channel support are different to those for single channel working. And in fact dual channel 333MHz RAM will be faster than 400MHz single channel RAM.

Despite the commonly held view that faster RAM will work fine at slower speeds, this is sometimes not the case, and depends very much on the timing constraints due to the motherboard design.

I would strongly recommend you send the RAM back and get RAM to the spec the motherboard manufacturer says they do support.

The worst thing you can have with RAM is that at first sight it appears to work, but under running conditions it gives occasional errors that cause intermittent crashes and worse.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?