Have Broadband but acting like dial up.

paul-261857 21:40 17 Feb 2004

I am running windows xp, am on bt broad band but it is performing like dial up connection when I connect to the internet.When I disconect, my system is quick.have contacted bt broad band help desk,they ran a check and said it must be my computer.I fail to see how as when I am not connected,my system runs fine. any suggestions anyone.

moore_mat 21:47 17 Feb 2004

We need to know a bit more about your set up - how are you connected to BT Broadband? Do you have a broadband modem or router? Is it internal or external?

From your message - are you saying your whole computer runs slow when you connect? (e.g. is the mouse moving slow?)

From this we might be able to help a bit more

Cheers

M@

accord 21:52 17 Feb 2004

click here and carry out a speedtest. Report your results onhere and im sure someone will have an answer for you.

paul-261857 21:56 17 Feb 2004

I have a bt broadband voyager usb adsl modem,external. yes mouse moves inconsistantly.yes the whole system runs slowly when I connect,also it takes forever to boot up.

AlHe 21:57 17 Feb 2004

did you previously have a dial up connection? did you use it in conjunction with a download accelorater. if so remove it

Gaz 25 21:59 17 Feb 2004

This sounds like a driver problem.

See if you can download the latest drivers for your BT modem.

paul-261857 22:05 17 Feb 2004

jeez guys I am getting so many solutions here from your e mails I am overwelmed.Its gonna take me awile to try all of your suggestions.I really appreciate your solutions. thank you,the guy who said about the download accelorator might have a point. I will try all of your info and will let you guys know. thanks again.
pavel

GANDALF <|:-)> 23:18 17 Feb 2004

Make sure that the modem is connected directly to a USB on the main computer and NOT to an external USB port.

G

Indigo 1 23:28 17 Feb 2004

Make sure your old modem is disabled too.

sicknote 23:38 17 Feb 2004

The voyager modem i am lead to believe is power hungry with some PC systems/chipsets and can lead to hang up/freezing/etc.
Work round was to use/try/borrow a powered USB hub

paul-261857 22:02 19 Feb 2004

Have resolved my problem, it was due to having kazza downloaded music. had to remove program.
as soon as I did,system went back to max speed.
Thnx for all your suggestions.Beware guys about using Kazza.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?