have AMD k6-2 tryimg to boot and every hdd

AaNnDdYy 17:19 18 Feb 2006

i put in it the message appears atapi incompatible any help as i am a bit green and am trying to teach myself so any help would be appreciated

bremner 17:28 18 Feb 2006

Sorry but you are going to have to explain your problem much more clearly

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:31 18 Feb 2006
  AaNnDdYy 17:36 18 Feb 2006

i also put 3/64`s of ram and put my drive with xp on it in it an did it ackowlegde but said atapi incom does this mean i have to convert my hdd back to fat32 or is that nothing to do with it?

AaNnDdYy 17:43 18 Feb 2006

Fruity thanks i have read the article and i had a problem with the cable and changed it bbut it still says it when i put my own drive in it it went to the windows boot up screen and asked me if i wanted to start normally i clicked return and it returned to memory check!

wobblymike 17:54 18 Feb 2006

If I read rhis right you have installed a HDD with Windows XP on it into a PC with a k6-2 cpu. Is that right?

AaNnDdYy 17:59 18 Feb 2006

aye have nothing else an 3?64`s ram

AaNnDdYy 18:01 18 Feb 2006

I am trying to get it going cause i only have p2 300mhz and want to see if its any better ,,,zas i dont know a lot!

Eric10 18:05 18 Feb 2006

Putting a hard drive from one PC into another one is a recipe for disaster. When Windows starts to load it will attempt to load the drivers for the PC the drive came from which are highly unlikely to be the ones required by the current PC. Also atapi messages are related to the CD-Rom so you need to check the drive settings in the BIOS. While you are in the BIOS you should set the boot order to boot from CD first.

Since you got to the Startup menu this would indicate that the hard drive is actually being recognised by the PC.

Once your drives are sorted you need to boot with your Windows XP CD in the drive and do a clean installation of Windows. Note that this will wipe all info from the hard drive in the process.

Don't expect too much from a K6/2 running XP. With 192MB of RAM it should run but it will never be fast.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:06 18 Feb 2006

The drives on the HDD XP will be set for the machine you took the drive from IT WILL NOT WORK in the AMD K2.

You are wsting your time with a K2 and 192 memory and XP.
A fresh install of XP will run but very very slowly.

wobblymike 18:07 18 Feb 2006

ok you wiill need to reinstall windows - it is unlikely to boot to a HDD with windows installed from another PC - a problem I heve encountered regularly. Format your HDD and reinstall windows and if there's nothing else wrong it should work. Also with 3 x 64 MB ram it will work but slowly ideally 256 is the minimum it needs with more being better. Finally 300MHZ is the lowest speed I have ever successfully run XP.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?