Has Ubuntu Linux offed my PC

pcuser1 12:33 03 Jan 2008

Tried to run ubuntu linux from the live cd as wanted to see if I could "find"a lost drive it halted part way through and am now unable to boot PC.Was running windoews XP,drives spin up but doesnt get to BIOS screen just emits a regular single beep.Reset CMOS but this made no difference.All advice welcome thanks in advance.

^wave^ 13:08 03 Jan 2008

yes it might have done have you got a recovery cd or windows xp cd try and boot from those to see if your pc will come up. not sure about the single beep you should check with the mother board manufacture about that. how old is the mother board.

brundle 13:14 03 Jan 2008

Beep codes here; click here

`lost` drive - is it still connected? Are you referring to a single physical drive or a partition on an existing drive?

pcuser1 15:25 03 Jan 2008

I have got a windows Xp cd but it does not seem to even get to the bios screen will try with the windows XP cd in the CD drive. The motherboard is 4 years old
Chaintech 7VJL Apogee Deluxe KT400.Yes the lost drive is still connected it is a single physical drive connected as slave to boot drive which is master.

pcuser1 15:42 03 Jan 2008

XP CD in drive has no effect emits one long beep repeated does not give any display on monitor.Hard disk light remains on constantly have to power off at PSU switch.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:53 03 Jan 2008

Chaintech 7VJL Apogee Deluxe KT400 has Award BIOS

Switch off
open case
Remove and refit Video card and memory modules.
Attempt to boot

if No boot remove cable from defective HDD and attempt to reboot

Also try one memory stick at a time and attempt to reboot.

pcuser1 17:30 03 Jan 2008

Have removed and refitted video card and memory module,no effect.Have removed cable from defective HDD,no effect.Have only one memory module tried it in another slot,no effect.What are my next options? Regards

alan2273 18:08 03 Jan 2008

You have an Award Bios and according to there site your memory is the problem.

click here

pcuser1 19:11 03 Jan 2008

Why would I suddenly get a memory error when trying to run Ubuntu linux from a live CD?I have removed and reseated the memory will I need to get a replacement module?It is crucial CT6464Z40B 512MB 184-pin DIMM 400DDR.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:50 03 Jan 2008

Memory Test
click here

DieSse 23:06 03 Jan 2008

"Why would I suddenly get a memory error when trying to run Ubuntu linux from a live CD?"

You wouldn't - it's just a co-incidence. The Live CD cannot make your RAM faulty under any circumstances.

You did say you ran the CD to fix a problem - it's just possible that was the problem that's causing you the boot issue?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?