Has my PSU destroyed my MB?

Biker Dave 20:47 21 Aug 2013

2 weeks ago my desktop decided it wasn't going to power it self up. Had a quick look and saw no power onto the MB light. I left all the components in place and swapped out the psu as the first option. This was successful, min hook up and windows fired up perfectly. I ordered a new psu, fitted it, everything put back together, all was OK

Last week the pc fired up OK but when it got to post point it just looped going from initial power up so I could get into the bios OK. Checked this, nothing different. It then decided to work OK so I thought all was now OK but no

The pc will now not go past post. I have seen the BSOD and it has given me the following codes:

Ox0000008E (OxC0000005, Ox8053AA83, OxAC635610, Ox00000000)

I only saw this screen once. Stupidly I hadn't set the BSOD to not auto restart, I know so I get the BSOD every time but can't see if the codes are the same as the attachment as I only got this screen once. I did however video the sequence and managed to get the picture but even in high res its hard to read, the first code appears to be OX0000007F. I will try to get this again.

I can't find what some of the codes mean but it seems to point to hardware. I have swapped the psu, no joy, removed 3gb of 4gb ram, no joy, disconnected the dvd drive, no joy. I haven't disconnected the graphics card yet or tried a new ram stick.

I have the pc backed up with image back up (been there, done that) but have never reloaded yet so a new learning curve!

Is it possible that the psu has taken out the MB? I don't mind a rebuild but it would be nice not to!

All ideas much appreciated.

woodchip 21:06 21 Aug 2013

Take a look at this, it looks like its a System File Problem.

click here you have a OS CD you could do a repair by starting with the CD in the drive then choose install then setup where it will look for any OS on your drive when it finds it, click on it to select it then press R for repair

If

Biker Dave 22:14 21 Aug 2013

Hi woodchip

Are you refering to the original windows CD? I have got the original disc so can give this a go or is this creating a disc from the download link?

Many thanks for your help

bumpkin 23:17 21 Aug 2013

Original CD

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 09:54 22 Aug 2013

You haven't said what op system?

If Vista or W7 then boot from the CD and select startup repair from the menu.

Biker Dave 12:58 22 Aug 2013

Hi all

Its XP. I tried this very late last night and booted OK from the CD and got to the repair option OK. I have 2 hard drives in a raid config so i was told that the system had no hard drives! Then I realised it had given me the option to load a file for this. I have the file on a floppy so will try this when I get home tonight and let you know. Many thanks for all your help

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:21 22 Aug 2013

Repair XP by install over the top of existing system

1. Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.

2. When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

1. Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.

To setup Windows XP now and Repair Install , press ENTER.

DO NOT choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console).

1. Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.

2. Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair.

3. Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot.

Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears.

Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.

Repair XP click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:21 22 Aug 2013

SATA or raid drivers need to be loaded at the F6 prompt

Biker Dave 19:23 22 Aug 2013

just followed above and all was good,got to reload windows point 39 mins to go and then the BSOD arrived with the following:

IRQLNOTLESSOREQUAL

Stop: Ox000000A (Ox00000000, Ox0000001C, Ox00000000, Ox804D657A)

Is it worth restarting and trying again or something different?

Cheers

Biker Dave 19:31 22 Aug 2013

think i might have found another potential issue, my disk is a recovery disk and reading the link from fruitbat it says the recovery disks won't perform a repair. Is this a full install?

Biker Dave 20:24 22 Aug 2013

have tried again and the BSOD comes up when the install is approx halfway across installing devices bar with same error codes as previos post.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

30 UK artists and their beautiful posters for WCRS' Pride in London campaign

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?