Firstly Dave,have you uninstalled any cd/dvd burning software recently ..ie: Roxio/Nero etc.
Do you receive any error codes,if so please state them.
Is your cd/dvd recognised in My Computer,if it is missing try the following.
Restore Missing CD/Dvd Drives
Missing cd/dvd drive
If it is showing an error code, 10, 39, etc., delete the drive.
Then follow these directions for clearing the Upper/Lower Filters: (might want to print this out)
1. Click on Start --> Run --> and type in 'regedit' followed by the enter key
2. Expand the "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE" key (looks like a folder) by double clicking it (or
3. clicking the "+" next to it.)
4. Expand the "SYSTEM" Key
5. Expand the "CurrentControlSet" Key
6. Expand the "Control" Key
7. Expand the "Class" Key
8. Please look for a key containing the following string of letter and numbers:
9. High light this key by left clicking once on it
10. On the right hand side you are looking for "UpperFilters" and "LowerFilters" under the "Name" column, once you find these please delete them by right clicking on them and choosing "delete"
11. Please exit the registry by clicking on the "X" in the top right hand corner of the screen
Reboot your computer
If in any doubt,please create a system restore point first.