Has my Google Chrome been taken over?

jimforrest 09:31 13 Nov 2013
Answered

When I bring up my browser - which should be google.co.uk I'm not sure that it actually is Google Chrome. It looks like Google but doesn't actually say it is (the Google name is now a series of motifs).

The address bar says www.dosearches and my homepage has been changed. I haven't downloaded any software so I don't know where it cam from. At the same time another program called YAC popped up claiming to have found a zillion problems with my comp. I've deleted that but I can't find the Dosearches source on the comp. How can I get rid of it (and is Google prone to this)?

jimforrest 11:46 13 Nov 2013

Cheers Jock - that seems to have got rid of it.

My only worry is that I 'woke' the comp up this morning (not a restart) only to find the Dosearch thing on it and I don't recall downloading anything at all over the last few days. And anyway I always go for the Advanced install so I can stop progs installing.

A bit worrying!!

jimforrest 14:01 13 Nov 2013

Aha! AVG does auto-updates when I wake the comp up. It also keeps nagging me about some AVG Tune-up prog. Someone recommended deleting it and switching to an alternative - I'll have to search my Posts to find out what was recommended.

bumpkin 16:26 13 Nov 2013

Avast is a good free alternative.

bumpkin 16:29 13 Nov 2013

Avast is a good free alternative.

jimforrest 21:03 13 Nov 2013

Is there an echo in here? (He he)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Adobe shows still-in-development tools, including automatically colourising black-and-white photos

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?