Has my email domain been hi-jacked?

CostasK 16:55 11 Oct 2006

Folks,

I own my onw domain ck-technologies.com and my email address [email protected]. Both are hosted by UK2.net

Over the last 2 week or so, I've been receiving a lot of rejected emails from people I've never emailled about stuff that has nothing to do with me. Please see example:

"
to: [email protected]

The original message was received at Wed, 11 Oct 2006 16:49:43 +0200 (CEST) from mx1-4.nfrance.com [80.247.228.66]

----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors ----- [email protected]>
(reason: 550 5.1.1 [email protected]>... User unknown)
(expanded from: [email protected]>)

----- Transcript of session follows ----- ... while talking to mx-final.nfrance.com.:
>>> DATA
550 5.1.1 [email protected]>... User unknown 550 5.1.1 [email protected]>... User unknown 503 5.0.0 Need RCPT (recipient)
"

What is happenning? has my email address been hi-jacked, spoofed etc... How can I stop it? I am concerned that my email address may get black-listed. Please can anyone help

Regards

PurplePenny 19:04 11 Oct 2006

It's been spoofed and there is nothing you can do to stop it :-(

It seems to be happening more and more. In the last few months a couple of my domains have been spoofed. The returned mail messages had just about died out but a couple pof weeks ago one of them started up again.

PurplePenny 19:06 11 Oct 2006

Forgot to say - I don't think that it will result in blacklisting because the e-mail isn't genuinely from you so it has a different return path to mail that you send.

I believe that FE had a spate of it too a few months ago so maybe he can reassure you.

Forum Editor 23:01 11 Oct 2006

in fact it's still going on. My business email address was receiving around 20 bounced message a day at one point, and I'm still getting half a dozen a day.

This has been happening over a period of about three months, and there's nothing I can do about it. There's nothing you can do about it either - we all just have to wait while it blows itself out.

CostasK 23:27 11 Oct 2006

I'd just like to thank you folks for your response. It is really annoying that there is no authority somewhere were I can get moan to. However, if my email address does not get blacklisted, I suppose that is something.

Regards,
Costas

mco 23:58 11 Oct 2006

Yes, I have that problem as well; it's really annoying, so just sending commiserations!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?