Has KazaaLite died?

tehtarek 18:59 09 Oct 2004

Does anyone know what's happened to KazaaLite? I keep getting the More Sources Required message all the time nowadays. The last time I had smooth sailing was about a month ago.
Thanks in advance.

raggy 2 19:03 09 Oct 2004

im not sure if its of interest but did u know that people are being prosecuted for using Kazaa and all music sharing sites, prosecution have been in France Austria and the UK with the possibility of 3 years in prison.

Diodorus Siculus 19:07 09 Oct 2004

raggy 2 - when were the UK prosecutions? I seem to have missed that one... Thanks.

BBez 19:20 09 Oct 2004

with the RIAA poisoning the networks, a lot of users have moved over to ftp / irc...

CurlyWhirly 19:21 09 Oct 2004
  Diodorus Siculus 19:26 09 Oct 2004

CurlyWhirly - thanks for that; I thought that it had already happened.

raggy 2 20:04 09 Oct 2004

I saw it on yahoo home page news

tehtarek 04:54 10 Oct 2004

Thanks, People.
But can they really catch you in the act of downloading? I thought things zip over the Net instantaneously, and, as we don't use genuine email addresses, how do they get you? Or izzit they catch aand prosecute only those who facilitate file sharing?

Noelg23 06:53 10 Oct 2004

well if you guys read Curly's link very carefully you will see it says people UPLOADING files not those downloading...so the only way to avoid this is to disable the Sharing facility really...

CurlyWhirly 09:18 10 Oct 2004

I will admit that I used to use P2P networks until around a year ago but the main reason why I stopped using them was all the Malware that you can accidentally get from using them.
For example I caught a Trojan which mucked up my internet connection and I had to rely on my trusty Drive Image 7 backup!

Even if there was NO spyware/malware on them now I still wouldn't use them as to be honest I wouldn't want to risk a hefty fine or up to 3 years in jail for the sake of a few 'free' songs or movie downloads!

Noelg23 commented that "people UPLOADING files not those downloading...so the only way to avoid this is to disable the Sharing facility really..."
But surely downloading is just as bad as uploading as it is still copyright material that you are downloading on to your PC?

[email protected] 09:59 10 Oct 2004

I think the intention is to get rid off all the major uploaders on the network. With them gone, it will be much harder for the other users to get the files, therefore, they won't be able to upload them either. This would then result in a gradual death of the network forceing people to obtain the files legally

Dave

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Intel Coffee Lake release date and specifications

12 Amazing British Craft Beer Label Designs

watchOS 4 review

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017