Has HDD Died

GBL 11:55 12 Feb 2008

Last night I went to my second PC and there was a message saying something like, Disc failure press Cont, Alt, Delete to ?? I did and promptly turned it off. This morning it will not boot up, after a couple of seconds the light on it remains constant and that is it. Has the HDD died it is a 40gb one which I took out of the main PC a few years ago and used it in the second machine which has had very little use.
I don't suppose there is any way of making sure that everything else is OK before going to expense.

Pamy 13:39 12 Feb 2008

Take the disk out, set jumpers to "slave" and install as second drive in other computer. Now se if it is found in "my computer"

woodchip 13:59 12 Feb 2008

Remove the cables from the hard drive to see if it will boot to a dos screen, if it does the Hard Drive is dead, or the data cable needs replacing

woodchip 14:00 12 Feb 2008

PS Jumpers on the drive do not need moving if it worked ok before. only if you connect as above as a slave

GBL 14:21 12 Feb 2008

If I remove the power from both the DVD and "A" floppy drive I get a DOS screen asking me to press F1 to continue, that done, nothing happens. I have put a new data cable on as the other was damaged slightly. Still nowt.

woodchip 14:23 12 Feb 2008

When you try starting Computer with Drive connected, Go into BIOS to see if it is seen in BIOS if Not you need a new Drive

GBL 14:25 12 Feb 2008

When I get the DOS screen then go into the BIOS the HDD is there. It is whirring round.

Pamy 14:25 12 Feb 2008

You could download disk diagnostic software from the disk manufactures site and try that

GBL 14:27 12 Feb 2008

That machine will not boot up, will diagnostics work then.

woodchip 14:31 12 Feb 2008

Yes the software will work if BIOS sees the drive, you put it on a Floppy disc something like Seatools
click here
It also as a Generic test for other drives

GBL 14:35 12 Feb 2008

I do have the WD data lifeguard disk which came with th edrive, will go and see what happens when I put it in.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?