Has anyone actually managed a system restore ?

User-D741F308-D674-4279-90B19F89F559298B 21:47 14 Aug 2008

I've tried selecting at least a dozen dates using the Windows facility (Start/Help&Support etc) to restore my system following some very odd stuff going on, but everytime it tells me it can't restore to that point !!

Does it ever actually work ?

SB23 21:52 14 Aug 2008

On every single occasion I've tried to use it, it has never worked.
So my answer would have to be a big no.

User-1229748 21:57 14 Aug 2008

i think the further back your restore points go the less chance of it working,and even if it does work i've had things that don't work properly after.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:58 14 Aug 2008

Yes
several times on many different computers.

Several reasons for NOT working:
1 Corrupt restore point
2 Insufficent disk space
3 Corrupt windows files.

1 Switch off restore to delete all previous points, reboot the PC and switch restore back on.
2 Clear some space by removing unwanted files
3 Do a windows repair to replace missing/ corrupt files.

MAT ALAN 22:00 14 Aug 2008

The odd stuff going on could be down to spy/malware
which in some cases sits in your "system volume info files" which is where your restore points are kept, i would scan your PC for this with what ever progs. you have.

Unfortunately it will not remove any issues from within system restore you will need to turn it off to delete these files and as yours does not work you might as well...

It can't be the first 2 I wouldn't have thought as I've tried TWELVE different restore points and my hard disk is 91% free !!

Corrupt window files ? Possibly but then wouldn't that be a reason to do a restore ?

I will try 3 but obviously that doesn't help me now but thanks for the info

MAT ALAN 22:07 14 Aug 2008

click here
wealth of good info here...

Batch 22:09 14 Aug 2008

I know this doesn't help your immediate problem, but the long term solution is to have a second (external) disk and use imaging software (such as Acronis True Image) to make complete discrete backup images (i.e. not incremental images).

My personal view is that such a course of action is the single most valuable thing that a PC owner can take.

It provides a fallback against a multitude of sins (e.g. malware infections, hardware failures, user incidents, faulty software updates etc. etc.).

For the relatively small cost involved I cannot recommend it highly enough for the lack of stress it engenders.

Technotiger 22:12 14 Aug 2008

I have never had any problems with System Restore on XP. I suppose you are choosing only Dates shown in Bold print?

Strawballs 22:13 14 Aug 2008

It does not matter how many points you try if the virus/spyware is in the restore volume do as Fruit Bat /\0/\ suggests to get rid of it.

woodchip 23:09 14 Aug 2008

Yes its worked for me

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone