harman kardon soundsticks II - help needed

  seneca196 11:07 20 Jun 2008

new to this forum, so apologies if I have posted in the wrong place.

I've been given a pair of soundsticks by a friend, but without the sub woofer. Is there any way I can get sound out of these. Must mention - I'm not technically minded, so having a bit of difficulty.
Firstly - if someone has soundsticks 2 - can they please describe the different connections and how they all attach to each other. I've looked at the online manual, but that doesn't tell.
1) one stick has a normal rca jack, but I don't know what the other stick (left with vol controls) has. It looks a bit like a mouse connection, but with 4 pins and the flat plastic bit. What's the name of this connection?
2) how can I connect these to my soundblaster? (3.5mm
jack - I think.)
3) Is it possible to connect them to a sub-woofer? (friends one stopped working, hence he gave the sticks to me)
4) Is there a sub that would be compatible? The soundsticks sub is difficult to get hold of on it's own. They sometimes come up on ebay, but they are the USB v1 subs with totally different connections. I've looked around at other makes, and other harman kardon subs, but non seem to match.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

  seneca196 10:18 24 Jun 2008

come on guys, has anyone got a pair of soundsticks? There must surely be something I can do with them (no jokes!) I'm stuck as to what the connection is on the non rca cable. Is there no converter that will atleast allow me to get sound out of it, even if it's not loud. If I could convert to rca, then I could maybe get a 2 rca to 1 3.5mm jack and get some use from the speakers. Better then chucking them.

  chub_tor 10:36 24 Jun 2008

This is mainly a PC Help Forum. You might get a quicker response by trying something closer to home entertainment eg click here

  Ditch999 12:24 24 Jun 2008

Looking at them I reckon the connection from your PC goes in to the sub woofer and it is a 3.5mm jack. The speakers then connect to the amp and one of them (the one with the DIN connector) controls volume etc. I do not think that you will get another amp to work with them unless you can convert the DIN plug to another RCA jack and even then you need to be careful of the amps output as the speakers are only rated at 10 watts.

  seneca196 00:36 28 Jun 2008

I've come across some karman kardon K395 speakers, which have a similar setup and the technical specs are similar:

both 2.1, both subs power the sats, both have vol control on sats.


soundsticks - sub 20w sat 10w per channel, total power 65w max.

k395 - sub 18w sat 6w per channel , total power 30w

(don't know the frequency range comparsion)

Another big difference is the connection on the volume sat (sticks has 4 pin, 395 has 9 pin)

I was wondering if I got the k395 set (£5 at computer market) and kept the sub and it's wiring, but chopped off the sat and tried rewiring with my new soundsticks, would that work? I may not get maximum performance, but hey, I'm only using them for basic sound (+ they'll look cool and work!....hopefully)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?