hardwired and wireless

Super Frankie Lamps 19:59 09 Jul 2007

i have a laptop with wireless connectivity to a belking 54g router and a dell that is hardwired to one of the ports of the same router. when both pc's are connected, one or the other has a marked downturn in speed of connection. when i was sold the product i was told it would do both jobs at a reasonable connection rate. i do know that the isp connection isn't a problem, because as stated before, this only occurs when both pc's are online.

now, i am a novice at this so i may have some settings not quite right (or dead wrong), but as i can connect with both i would like anyone's advice as to what might be slowing it down, or do i have to live with using one or the other.

mgmcc 21:02 09 Jul 2007

Unless one of the computers is busy downloading a large file while you use the other, you should not notice any significant reduction in speed. Simply having more than one computer connected to the router shouldn't make any difference and with two computers "web browsing" there shouldn't be a noticeable slowdown.

Try performing a "hard reset" of the router back to factory default settings and then configure it again from scratch. If the problem persists and the router is new, consider having it replaced because that isn't normal behaviour.

Super Frankie Lamps 21:33 09 Jul 2007

but i will try that suggestion, thanks mgmcc.

i thought i might have some setting wrong some where

Strawballs 22:25 09 Jul 2007

I had one wired and one wireless desktops on my router when I first installed it then added a laptop wireless and didn't notice any difference when all 3 are in use.

Super Frankie Lamps 22:29 09 Jul 2007

must be me then :)

Strawballs 22:37 09 Jul 2007

Sorry forgot to mention my router 3 year old linksys wrt54g

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?