Hardware problems HELP!!!!

dipstick01 20:21 21 Dec 2005

my computer has a problem with the ram it keeps changing from 1024 to 512 i thought the ram was loose but i took them both out the put them back in, it worked, then it happend again i just turned the pc off this time then turned it back on and it was ok. Then i got a error with something to do with the a d and e drives i basically keep getting the same errors drive a d and e and memory change is it the hardware loose, because i do move it a lot from my office to home and its a desktop if so how do i fix this problem.

VoG II 20:26 21 Dec 2005

Please don't post multiple threads with the same problem click here

Curio 20:27 21 Dec 2005

running on the same problem. Suggest you tick one so that any responses you get are not duplicated on other thread.

dipstick01 20:32 21 Dec 2005

please just answer the problem cus it sucks my pc is screwed

dipstick01 20:33 21 Dec 2005

sorry if you take offence this is really anoying me

Curio 20:36 21 Dec 2005

Just pointing out confusion can arise.

dipstick01 20:40 21 Dec 2005

ok its the same problem ram and a d e drive errors keep comming and going one day it will be fine then the next ram changes from 1024 to 512 and errors with drives a d and e formatting or not there or summut. keep thinking somethings loose, but i cant see anything loose or maybe a virus? no idea i have done a avg computer scan though so i cant see how it could be a virus

Totally-braindead 20:47 21 Dec 2005

You'll have to try one thing at a time to see if it solves it, what I would initailly suggest is remove one bit of RAM, run it for a while and see what happens, if this is ok then swop them over and see what happens then. If both are ok running seperatly then I would suggest that the RAM slot on the motherboard is faulty. If not we'll have to try something else.

Sharpamatt 20:48 21 Dec 2005

I agree with both Vog and Curio, multiple threads add to a problem they dont solve it

I think you already have the possable cause in moving a desktop around, the inital problem seems to be the ram and then the D/E drives.

I would reset the Ram, check the connection cables on the drives ( which may have become dislodged when you first checked the Ram )

then leave it where it is untill you can ensure that its either moving it, ( it which case it wont happen )

or start looking elsewhere for the problem.

More to the point as this is fairly new, have you spoken to Dell. you must have a waranty on it.

Its also far easier if you need to take a system to and from work to use a laptop

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?