Hardware problem?

Azug 02:52 10 Jan 2006

Every now and again my comp crashes and I get a "cpu over temperature error, press f1 to restore" message. Is this as serious as it sounds and is it a problem with my processor overheating? Once i restore my comp it's fine for a few days/a week, then it happens again. I've restored everything on my comp to factory settings a couple of times but this keeps happening.

What would be the best thing to do next?

Diodorus Siculus 08:38 10 Jan 2006

|MG| Free Download - Motherboard Monitor 5.3.7.0
"Motherboard Monitor (MBM) is a tool that will display information from the sensor chips on your motherboard in your Windows system tray. MBM supports a wide range of Chipsets & Sensor Chip combinations.

It can sense temps from Cpu, HDD, GFx and Mobo. It does also sense Fan speeds. If it senses that your hardware is overheated it can protect it by Shutting it down (user configured). To see if MBM5 supports your hardware check out the Motherboard List "
click here

PC Bilbo 08:41 10 Jan 2006

Can you give more details of your pc spec and and if
if you had it from new or did you build it?

Probably first thing to do is have a look and see if the CPU cooling fan and any other installed fans including power supply are working OK and are not clogged up with dust.

Azug 00:45 11 Jan 2006

pc is a year old, custom built by manufacturer

amd athlon 64 processor 3000+
2.00 ghz
1.00gb of ram

007al 00:48 11 Jan 2006

Have a look inside for dust build up on fans etc. and check they are working properly,especialy the cpu fan

Azug 00:51 11 Jan 2006

I downloaded mbm, but how do i chk to see what kind of motherboard i have?

Cheers for the help, much appreciated

Skyver 00:54 11 Jan 2006

Everest will tell you the temp too, and recognise the mobo on it's own - look under the Computer/Sensor heading for CPU or CPU Diode. click here

PC Bilbo 09:30 11 Jan 2006

If it's that recent a build, are you covered by any warranty? many of the smaller shops building their own systems are offering free labour only warranty for 2 years after initial 12 months where live provided you return to them.

PC Bilbo 09:33 11 Jan 2006

Another thought, are you playing any of the modern resource demanding games when you experience this problem?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?