hardware or software issue?

5ean 06:50 03 Jan 2006

xp service pack 2
avast home
kerio firewall
amd 4000+
laptop

Everyday at least once per day the laptop stops responding to keyboard and finger pad inputs. Hot keys are the only input that will work.

Holding the power button for 4 seconds to switch off followed by back on launches straight to windows with no disk checking.

It seems odd that windows doesn't run the check and is acting as though it was shut down correctly.

Any idea's on if this sounds hardware or software and any checks I can do?

Thanks.

GuZ><0r 08:41 03 Jan 2006

Does this happen when you are using a particular program or doing an application.

5ean 08:56 03 Jan 2006

No, it appears to be totally random.

961 09:29 03 Jan 2006

Is this a heat problem?

Obstruction of ventilation?

Belatucadrus 11:25 03 Jan 2006

Could be a battery/power management problem, does this happen when on battery or mains ?

5ean 14:19 03 Jan 2006

Heat? Could be as the fan is usually on when it happens. I'll monitor that but it's not every time the fan is on. I do make an effort to keep the vents clear.......maybe the processor is running hot while it beds in???

There is a setting to run at 50% CPU power without the fan so I may try that.

Power managment: I set eveything to ALWAYS ON to rule out dodgy control and have experienced the lock out on Good battery Low battery and Mains.

BACK to heat. I searched in BIOS butcould not find the usual PC settings to find temp and warnings etc. I may see if there are any to download and install, are they reliable if they exist?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:11 03 Jan 2006

FReeezing PC

1. Overheat due to faulty / blocked fans

2. PSU voltages

3. Household power surges fridge etc switching on/off

4. faulty memory stick try memtest click here

5. virus or spyware scan for both especially if shutting down with in a few minutes of switch on or internet use

6. driver conflicts especially grahics cards get the latest drivers for your equipment

5ean 16:52 03 Jan 2006

1. Overheat due to faulty / blocked fans

Fans seem to be working on/off regularly, unlikely to be blocked as only a week old

2. PSU voltages

don't know.

3. Household power surges fridge etc switching on/off

would that affect running on battery?

4. faulty memory stick try memtest click here

used "burnintest" no problems reported

5. virus or spyware scan for both especially if shutting down with in a few minutes of switch on or internet use

Nope it's random.

6. driver conflicts especially grahics cards get the latest drivers for your equipment

Will look into this as had not thought a week old laptop would need them.

5ean 20:37 03 Jan 2006

I have run some tests and it seems basics like UDMA was not enabled. I have enabled this and played with some settingsto optimize windows plus done a defrag etc. Will see how it holds up.

Why would a manufacturer not enable udma?

5ean 17:27 08 Jan 2006

Laptop was faulty and has been replaced.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Microsoft Surface Book 2 hands-on review – bigger and 5x faster

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?