Hardware Installation Files

Thick As a Brick 09:25 30 Sep 2005

I want to re-format my hard disk armed only with my Win98 CD and start-up disk. I know from a previous re-format that I had a problem with a driver for a particular piece of hardware which clearly wasn't present on my Win98 disks but was resolved by paying £30 to a local computer store to locate the driver. Although everything has worked fine since then - it was such a long time ago that I have forgotten which piece of hardware I had the original problem with.

My question: Is there a way of backing up all the appropriate files prior to re-formatting to ensure that I have them to hand when required?

Reluctant to pay out another £30+ I made enquiries to my local store, Dell (my machine is a gas driven P11 400) and "Computer World" none of whom were willing or able to help.

It goes without saying that any help in this area would be greatly appreciared

MAJ 09:33 30 Sep 2005

There are programs like Driver Backup click here, that do that sort of thing, Thick As a Brick, but they aren't usually to be relied on 100%. Your best bet is to use Everest click here to identify all the devices on your computer, then download the revelevant drivers, from the net, before formatting.

Fingees 09:45 30 Sep 2005

If you do a search on your computer for driver,

It will list the location of all the drivers. I think they are usually located in windows/ system, but it's a long time since I used 98.

Anyway make a note of their location, and copy what you need, then replace in same location when you have re formatted.
All the best

Thick As a Brick 21:04 03 Oct 2005

Maj & Fingees thanks for your help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?