hardware diagnostic tools

iqs 22:05 28 Jan 2008

Hello ,During a lecture at college,the lecturer mentioned hardware diagnostic tools.I thought he was on about software for testing hardware,but it is actual electronic devices which plug into a Pc.He did not go into much detail,becasue this will be covered later in the course.

So does anyone use this equipment,how is it used,what does it test and where do you buy it from.

Thank you all.Cheers

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:24 28 Jan 2008

Some of it is already built in to your motherboard and hard drive.

Modern boards have leds givning you fault codes when items fail.

Hard drives have had S.M.A.R.T. for a long time.

PSU tester click here

MAT ALAN 22:27 28 Jan 2008

click here.

read this till your tutor covers the tools afor mentioned...

DieSse 01:08 29 Jan 2008

This may be the kind of thing he's referring to - do a google and you'll find some more.

Also remember the POST is a hardware diagnostic, with beep and display codes that tell you what's going on.

I've never actually seen such a board used in the field - though no doubt they will be used in repair centres and post-production troubleshooting.

Motherboards are so varied that it's probably quite difficult to design a board that works with a large variety of systems.

DieSse 01:08 29 Jan 2008

Forgot the link (again!) click here

iqs 19:22 29 Jan 2008

All and thank you for your help.The links and advice were of great help.I'm at college Wed evening,I will ask for more info regarding the test equipment.Once again thanks.Cheers IQS

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?