Hardrive Question? ? ?

andymiesta 00:51 20 Jan 2010

Hi I am upgrading my PC soon with a new, Graphics card, processor, motherboard, & RAM memory, and wanted to no if i will have to reformat my hardrive and have a fresh install of windows 7??. I am going from AMD socket 939 to intel quad core 775.....

OTT_B 01:17 20 Jan 2010

I doubt it.

At worst you should be able to do a repair installation. You may get lucky (the beta version was good) and you can just transfer the drive straight over.

howard64 06:54 20 Jan 2010

this is a new pc not an upgrade I would expect you will need to do a clean install followed by using the new motherboard drivers cd.

crosstrainer 08:02 20 Jan 2010

A clean install will be essential. The drivers for your old motherboard are totally different and will need to be replaced.

Also bear in mind that if you do not have a FULL retail copy of Windows you will fall foul of Microsofts policy on re-installation and may have to purchase a new copy of the OS.

Some have pleaded that the motherboard blew, and have obtained a new key, but I'd check first.

If you can buy a bundle, the supplier may include a new copy with the new kit....Either way, a re-format and install will be required, so backup all tour music photo's docs. etc before installation of windows.

All your applications will also need to be re-installed as well.

OTT_B 08:52 20 Jan 2010

Certainly on the beta release I was able to transfer a drive straight from one PC to another. Not sure if MS changed that for the final version.

Paperplane 09:04 20 Jan 2010

Clean install is the only way.

User-312386 15:54 20 Jan 2010

A clean install is the only way to go if you want a stable system! When windows installs it checks hardware and loads the nearest driver so you can get to the desktop!

OTT_B 16:03 20 Jan 2010

I feel an experiment coming on.....

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Intel Coffee Lake release date and specifications

12 Amazing British Craft Beer Label Designs

watchOS 4 review

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017