hardrive prob. help pleeeeeese

picklsey 13:38 16 Sep 2004

xp home (sp1)amd athlon 1.2.hdd is st3160021a(160gb,7200rpm ultra-ata/100)ok i will try to explain as best i can as the prob. is way beyond me.got this pc from my son he has put above hdd in.in the bios it is only being recognised as 33821mb the same when i check in my computer.checked with everest and it confirmes it is a 160gb hdd,any ideas on how to sort this please.

Diodorus Siculus 13:51 16 Sep 2004

On the hard drive there may be setting to tell the PC to recognsise only 32gb - have a look.

Otherwise, there may be a BIOS limitation and the BIOS will need to be upgraded (a last resort, hopefully).

ventanas 13:58 16 Sep 2004

Is the drive formatted to Fat32. If so 32gb is the maximum size XP can format to. There are two main options.

Use the fdisk program from a startup disc created either with Win98 or ME to format the drive to its full capacity.

Reformat the drive to ntfs using disc managment.

picklsey 14:37 16 Sep 2004

thanks for responses away to check what you,se have told me and i will post back as soon as i can.once again thanks.

JonnyTub 14:40 16 Sep 2004

To convert a volume to NTFS from the command prompt
Open Command Prompt. Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, and then click Command Prompt.

In the command prompt window, type: convert drive_letter: /fs:ntfs

For example, typing convert D: /fs:ntfs would format drive D: with the ntfs format. You can convert FAT or FAT32 volumes to NTFS with this command.

Important Once you convert a drive or partition to NTFS, you cannot simply convert it back to FAT or FAT32. You will need to reformat the drive or partition which will erase all data, including programs and personal files, on the partition.

picklsey 14:45 16 Sep 2004

file system is ntfs could you please tell me where to look on the hdd to see if there is a setting that only recognises 32gb for the pc.there used to be a 40gb hdd in the pc before and it was recognised as this.

JonnyTub 14:52 16 Sep 2004

it could be that is is set up in the bios as that. YOu need to go into the bios first before you change your jumper pins and set the hard drive to be automatically detected. If this still doesn't work then you need to look at the hard drive itself for the diagram which should be on the top which will tell you if there is a limiting juper pin and how to remove the limit.

picklsey 15:03 16 Sep 2004

thanks again will turn everything of and check this.in the bios i checked to see if it was being recognised and pressed the select button to auto detect settings stayed the same.is it pos. that the problem could be that my son maybe didn,t format the new hdd after installing when i asked him all he said was he thinks he did but can,t remember.will take me a little while to check the settings on the hdd,will post back as soon as i have checked.thanks again.

JonnyTub 15:10 16 Sep 2004

could you post the settings from the bios here please. As for your son not formatting the hard drive it wouldn't matter being new.

picklsey 16:03 16 Sep 2004

not quit sure what you mean sorry.if you mean hdd is showing in bios as primary master nothing else is attatched to lead.i,ve been changing the jumper settings around still one to try.when i changed the jumpers went into bios to auto detect hdd both times it came up with 0mb, the setting i,m on just now has put it back to the original.on the hdd it says there is a jumper setting that would limit the hdd to 32gb.i still have to try one more change on the jumpers to see if it makes any difference or do you think it,s worth trying.thanks

picklsey 16:40 16 Sep 2004

is this what you mean.

ide primary master st3160021a

ide primary slave none

ide secondry master dvd rom

ide secondry slave atapi cdrw

if i remove the jumper do you think that would do it i have put it to all the different positions it can go and it is making no difference thanks for your help on trying to resolve this.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?