Is this hardrive Kaput

Legolas 14:56 17 Nov 2007

My brother brought his computer to me to try and fix.

When I booted it up the error 'no operating system found' came up at boot up. I connected the hard drive to my system as a slave drive but when I try to access it after boot up I get the error message that the drive needs formatted and when I check it it is completely full although I know this is not the case.

In the disk management the slave drive appears as 'healthy'. I am now probably thinking the drive is kaput. Anyone any other ideas of what it could be?

DieSse 15:00 17 Nov 2007

It could just be corrupted in one of several ways.

Are you keen to get any data off it - or are you prepared to just try repartitioning and reformatting? This will tell you if it's useable or not.

Legolas 15:17 17 Nov 2007

I,m not sure if my brother wants anything of the drive I will phone him and find out. I did boot up on his system with his recovery cd and alhough it gave me the option to reformat the drive I know that normally the recovery cd for his system gives you more optons than this. It normally gives an option to recover without losing any data. The fact that it is not gving this option would also point to some sort of corruption or drive failure.

Legolas 15:19 17 Nov 2007

Just a thought, even if the OS was corrupt I would have thought I could have accsessed the drive when it configured as slave?

Karakorum 15:36 17 Nov 2007

Has you brother by any chance been using TrueCrypt?
If he has a drive or partition as a TrueCrypt drive is would show the symptoms you describe.

Legolas 15:45 17 Nov 2007

Im not sure will ask him when I phone.

I have booted into the recovery console and tried the fixmbr command with no difference getting 'error loading operating system'

DieSse 16:07 17 Nov 2007

I wasn't thinking of a corruption in the OS, more of a problem with the filing system structure.

Legolas 17:15 17 Nov 2007

Nothing of great importance on the drive so will try and format and reinstall the OS. After the footie, althouh Scotland are getting beat 0-1

Legolas 19:26 18 Nov 2007

Have discovered the problem it appears to be his PSU I swapped his for mine and it booted up ok. Never thought of that at first, wish I had would have saved me a lot of time and trouble.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?