Harddrive Query??

Bodice 17:45 02 Mar 2006

I have Windows XP running with two hardrives and 512MB, at present windows is on both and they are (supposedly) running dual but I dont think this is the case as if you put to much on then the visual memory (i think?) runs low.
What I would like is to have the whole pc wiped and reinstalled with both drives running together so I have full memory.

Diodorus Siculus 17:51 02 Mar 2006

I'm not sure what you are getting at.

You have two hard drives.

Two installs of XP.

When booting up, are you asked to choose which one to start? If so, then you have a "dual boot" system. Many people have this setup for testing software, gaming and so on.

They cannot both run together (at the same time) .

So it seems you have a problem with virtual memory. Try this:

Virtual Memory in Windows XP
click here

Barrie_G 17:55 02 Mar 2006

I assume that you mean "Virtual Memory" (which is an area on the hard disk that the computor uses as memory) to increase this press

Windows key & Pause break, then go to, Advanced / Performance / Settings / Advanced / Virtual Memory / Change

and increase it by as much as you want, though the best way would be to add another 512mb of ram to your system as XP is very resource hungry and likes lot of memory.

Barrie_G 17:56 02 Mar 2006

Must learn to type faster:)

Bodice 17:59 02 Mar 2006

Thanks for the reply, however even though im not really explaining myself that is something i will be trying.
Both drives have windows on it which is not what i want as one drive is not used and when you want to use it there isnt enough space to put anything on it. My son thinks hes a computer genius and i think that hew reinstalled xp but when it asks about the two drives i think hes run it on both which is where my problems begin. Im a bit at a loss how to rectify this, also sorry for going on a bit.

Diodorus Siculus 18:18 02 Mar 2006

When you boot up, do you get a menu offering two options to start?

Are you sure you have two hard disks?

Right click on my computer

choose manage

then disk mamangement

what details are there?

Can you post an image on imageshack?

ed-0 18:32 02 Mar 2006

Do you mean you have raid array hard drives set as raid 1.

This would mirror the first hard drive to the second hard drive. So two operating systems and files. click here

Bodice 18:34 02 Mar 2006

no its not duplicated

Bodice 18:37 02 Mar 2006

(H:) (C:)
4.69 GB FAT32 109.80GB NTFS
Healthy Healthy (system)

dunno if thats helpful??????

Diodorus Siculus 18:51 02 Mar 2006

Do you have windows installed on H drive?

Bodice 18:55 02 Mar 2006

yes

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?