Harddrive on it's way out?

lee_robinson1983 10:19 04 Jun 2007

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone could tell me the tell tale signs of a harddrive that is on its way out?

I think mine may be going becasue: now and again it takes a long time to save data compared to what it used to, and I actually have less on my pc now since doing a windows re-install. I've had to do 2 windows re-installs in the last 9 month, not sure if this problems relates to hard drive issues?? Now and again, I can actually hear the hard drive trying to restart itself inside my pc whilst it's running, it makes a faint beep and a few clicks...

Any advice would be great, thanks.

Jackcoms 10:41 04 Jun 2007

"I think mine may be going becasue: now and again it takes a long time to save data compared to what it used to"

Now might be a very good time to take a complete backup of all your data to an external source, them. ;-)

lee_robinson1983 11:28 04 Jun 2007

Jackcoms

Very little data on there after my last windows re-install, Itunes is about the only thing I need to save and have an external hard drive so that's covered.

UncleP 11:38 04 Jun 2007

Yes, mine did much the same about eighteen months ago, and failed completely about two weeks later. You can do some diagnostics on it with ScanDisk (or whatever it's called now) and a SMART utility but any usage will shorten its remaining life. I would buy a replacement - HD prices are pretty low these days, and you might consider getting a larger disk - and copy everything across rather than having to re-install its contents piecemeal.

Once you are up and running on the new disk you can check out the old one at your leisure. But frankly I wouldn't bother with any HD I wasn't sure was in good condition - it usually ends in tears before bedtime!

Esso43 12:07 04 Jun 2007

I had this problem with a laptop HDD I used ccleaner, defragged and then CHKDSK the later took ages to work through but after the disk now appears to be working as well as it did before. I will however be backing up much more frequently than previously and saving for a new uber machine :)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?