harddrive full, mysterious invisible content.

Awestruck 19:39 09 Jan 2006

A friend has Windows ME. His 6GB hard drive has filled up yet he only has 2.4GB of programs and data visible using My Computer and showing hidden files. His drive has only one partition.
I removed [email protected] but something else seems to have created Gigabytes of undetectable rubbish on the disk. Any help greatly appreciated.
Awestruck

Chegs ®™ 19:52 09 Jan 2006

Ccleaner? click here

Sethhaniel 08:28 11 Jan 2006

which could be set at max and take away about 12% of the hard drive -;)

Sharpamatt 08:37 11 Jan 2006

does he regually run his maintance ? if not this could well be a build up of system Logs.and seperated files

First run the full cycle of Cleanup, Drefrag, scandisc, the a scrubber such as Sure Deleate. This will not clean all.

You may well have trouble useing Defrag if there is insufficent space. without deleating some files manually

PaulB2005 08:47 11 Jan 2006

System Restore folder?

Diemmess 09:15 11 Jan 2006

Having jumped from 98SE to 2000 I have no personal experience of ME, but I think ME lacks a proper System Restore.
The cause of this trouble may be all sorts of things - malware or incorrect system settings for swap file or windows virtual memory and so on.

Not too long ago, before XP became the norm a number of posts in circumstances like this recommended a clean sweep (format) and a new intallation.
Drastic I know and dependant on having all the right disks from motherboard to every application, but with ME in a mess, it should be considered.
If it does come to this, then of course copy every scrap of your personal data (not applications they will have to be re-installed) to CDs first.

Awestruck 21:06 06 Feb 2006

Thank you for all your suggestions folks.
I finally cracked it. The flaky Windows ME OS had created a vast 3.26GB size _RESTORE folder.
I disabled System Restore and the folder dropped to a respectable size.

Kind Regards

Awestruck

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?