Hard Drives & Power Supplies

kricky 13:14 03 Feb 2008

Hi guys. Question about hard drives and power supplies.
Basically I’m on my 3rd drive in about a year an a half, give or take. Now this one seems to be going on the blink to. As when I’m writing to it (large files 20 Mbs or more) the screen will freeze and I can hear the Drive powering up, after a few seconds all is well to the next time. Oddly today it has not had one of its tantrums, but is very slow. Until I realised that the Primary IDE Channel is running in (PIO) Mode Not (DMA). I have thought about Uninstalling the Drive and Rebooting to get it to go back to DMA again, But Hey it hasn’t crashed yet so I’ll think I’ll leave it. I have read that this could all be the cause of a faulty (PSU) as cheap one or Badly made ones don’t give your drives a constant Current, Now I have no Idea What make mine is Or how much I paid for it, I think it’s 350w or 400w and possible 2 years old. All it runs is 2 cd drives and a Hard drive plus the usual other PC Components.

Now you’s have a Basic outline of the background, My question is this.

What is a Good make of Power supply, I have looked about a wee bit and Seasonic and Blue Storm seem to be £20-£30 more expensive than similar wattage Models. Is that due to them being a Brand name or are they actually well built? Secondly If I do buy one of these Brands Is there any sense in going for one of the higher wattage Models, or just stick to a 300w 400w model? You could say yes buy a higher wattage model as you never know what you might add later. But to be honest I have no interest in Upgrading this system, the whole thing is getting on abit, and When Money permits I’m just buying a new system from Dell or PC world ect.

Thanks for any replies, and keep up the good work.

Cheers. kricky

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:31 03 Feb 2008

Primary IDE Channel is running in (PIO) Mode Not (DMA). I have thought about Uninstalling the Drive and Rebooting to get it to go back to DMA again,

If transfer Mode is PIO then follow the instructions at click here to change.

I have read that this could all be the cause of a faulty (PSU) as cheap one or Badly made ones don’t give your drives a constant Current,

Is one of your Cd drives on the same cable as the hard drive? Bad (hard to read) CDs will cause the IDE channel to drop down its DMA eventually ending up in PIO mode.

kricky 13:45 03 Feb 2008

EDIT.......

I have been reading more into this... and have discovered something. This could all be my fault. I have read that moving or shaking the tower can lead to the hard drive disks being scrached by the heads. Now it just so happens that the top of my tower is level with the bottom of my chair, and I have lost count of the amount of times that i have sat down and Spun around and Hit the tower with the back of the chair, resulting in it bouncing of the wall....OPPS

So anyone with similar problems might want to look into this point or those of you out there who have hit there case by mistake... Look into moving it to a safer location lol

I cant believe Ive been doin this for years and thought nothing of it, as the computer just continued to run on and didnt seem affected by the knock.

@ Fruit bat /\0/\
I dont want to change back to (dma) mode as it is stable running on (pio) mode for the moment.

and No the hard drive has its own cable from the PSU and IdE cable from the Motherboard.

Cheers Kricky

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?