hard drives not recognised

wildrover 10:35 09 Jun 2004

This problem has occurred three times now, twice at start up, once with Blue Screen of Death. At start up HDDs are not seen by BIOS, so, after 'verifying DMI Pool Data' Windows trys to start from CD. Going into BIOS does not help and they won't auto detect. Start up screen says Pri Master Disk: None, Pri Slave DisK: None. Secondary both show up OK Have swapped the power cables and all leads - no effect. Changing the sockets doesn't help as Pri Master, etc. then show as DVD and Zip and nowt on Secondary.
BSoD said: Kernel_data_inpage_error and some numbers I'm afraid I didn't record.
Set up is 20GB HDD, 4GB HDD, DVD reader, ZIP, and a CDRW alone on a RAID card. Win xp, 512 Ram, 1 gig Duron. Never any problem until recently.
Starts working again of own accord. Checked for virus (AVG), used Ad-aware, scanned disk, defragged!
all help appreciated!!

Indigo 1 12:02 09 Jun 2004

When you say "Starts working again of own accord", how can this be ?

Are you saying that the PC boots and runs OK without the HDD icons showing up in MY COMPUTER or do you mean that after trying it a few times the PC will eventually Boot Up and you can see the HDD icons ?

wildrover 13:06 09 Jun 2004

Well, up to now, the pc eventually boots after a few goes and appears fine with all HDD information showing. The first time the problem happened it would not boot at all for about 15 - 20 attempts and everything was as described in the post above. Then I noticed that some information was coming on the screen during POST where it had previously said 'none' at Pri master and pri secondary, it had strings of symbols in place of the HD info - like this !!"£$% !!** etc. Then, after a couple more attempts to boot, it did so fine. After a few days I got the BSoD. I then did all the checking of cables etc but could not figure out a problem. Put it all back together and it would not start for a few boot attempts but then did so and worked fine for a couple of days. Today, it will not boot at all.

wildrover 13:41 09 Jun 2004

Have now managed to boot up the machine and am using it now. Neither the BIOS nor Windows is seeing the 2nd HD at the moment!

I got a Black screen of death at one attempt to boot, there is a 'solution' here click here I might try but I am not convinced. My guess is Mobo or HD click here see this discussion.

Any ideas most welcome!!!

wildrover 13:44 09 Jun 2004

that 2nd click here should be click here

TomJerry 14:29 09 Jun 2004

I think there is some problems with Hard drive, so backup everything while you can.

I had similar problem and get the machine back to work perfectly first time, after 1 month, it got crazy again, but still able to boot after a few attempts, I knew the HDD is going to pop any minute and got a new HDD. I was going to take a clone of old one, so I do not need to do windows installation again, but too busy and planned to do in weekend. Can you belive what happy? The HDD went totally dead in Friday evening. So I had to spend whole weekend to install dual boot systems again. Fortunately, I have all personally files backup everyday, but it still waste me a lot of time. It would only take a hour if I do disk clone while I could.

wildrover 09:39 24 Jun 2004

You were dead right! Thankfully it turned out to be the slave hard drive that was faulty so not much data loss (and I had backed up stuff to CD after your post!). I realised that the slave drive was full after a recent backup, so I zipped the backup folder to create some space, then all ran fine for a few days. Then the computer would not POST at all. Disconnected slave drive and all has worked fine for over a week!!

I will install an older slave drive I have been given (in the hope that it WAS a faulty drive causing the problem - I had wondered if my 350 PSU was up to the job?)

Thanks all.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone