hard drive woe's

damnthispc 20:05 04 Dec 2006

my HDD won't boot up.
I tried the drive in an external caddy and I can read the files on another pc, i can write to and from it.
So I thought maybe its time for a clean re-install, backed up all the files I needed then formated the drive. Tried to reinstall xp but on pressing enter to set up windows i get a message telling me there isn' a hard drive installed. tried it again in the caddy and can still write to and from it.
still can't get windows to install.
Any suggestions? while i wait for a reply, I'm going to try a replacement ribbon cable if I have one.

bof:) 20:22 04 Dec 2006

Hi damnthispc, have you had a look in your BIOS to see if its being shown in there? If not set dectect Hard drives to automatic. Use F10 to save settings if altered and reboot.

Mike

ICF 20:23 04 Dec 2006

Have you tried the manufactures own diagnostic software

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:29 04 Dec 2006

my HDD won't boot up. just because you can read it in another machine doen't mean tat the boot sector or boot files aren't damaged.

What error message or symptoms do you get when trying to boot?

damnthispc 20:38 04 Dec 2006

fruit bat
the original error mentioned a bad boot sector, how do i go about checking this

damnthispc 20:51 04 Dec 2006

now i'm getting \i386\ntkrnlmp.exe error code is 7.
I vaguely remember something about bios issues in another post

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:15 04 Dec 2006

Are you trying to boot from it now?

Go into BIOS set first boot option to CD and boot with XP cd in drive and go to recovery consul click here

To start the computer and use the Recovery Console

From the Setup CD-ROM

Insert the Setup compact disc (CD) and restart the computer. If prompted, select any options required to boot from the CD.
When the text-based part of Setup begins, follow the prompts; choose the repair or recover option by pressing R. If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot system, choose the installation that you need to access from the Recovery Console. When prompted, type the Administrator password. At the system prompt, type Recovery Console commands; type help for a list of commands, or help commandname for help on a specific command.

To exit the Recovery Console and restart the computer, type exit.

At the system prompt type chkdsk /r

let windows attempt to repair the drive
on completion type exit and see if the drive will boot up

damnthispc 21:34 05 Dec 2006

I think I may have found the problem or part of it.
Fruitbat, thanks
I can't get as far as the rext based options, On the 1st blue screen of windows set up I get "\i386\ntkrnlmp.exe error code is 7" so I am unable to try your suggestions.

Had a look in the BIOS (award Pheonix) and in the standard cmos settings it doesn't show the HD in the master option and won't detect it either.
Is this due to damaged boot files?
Can I restore the boot sector using software on another pc using xp if i mount it as an external drive in a caddy, If so any reccomendations.

Technotiger 21:40 05 Dec 2006

Will any of these help?

click here

damnthispc 22:18 05 Dec 2006

Had a look but see anything that will help.
Has anyone had experience of repairing boot sectors using software other than windows set up?

ICF 18:50 06 Dec 2006

What make of drive is it?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?