hard drive upgrade

campal 19:11 02 Feb 2004

My pc only has a 8.5gb hard drive i want to upgrade it is there a download that tells you if your computer is compatable for an upgrade if not how can you tell . My pc is a made up one not bought as one.

MAJ 19:17 02 Feb 2004

If you have enough room to install one either in place of or in addition to your present hard drive, then it should be okay, campal. There will probably be software on the hard drive's manufacturer's website to allow your computer to recognise a larger hard drive, if it doesn't already recognise it.

SEASHANTY 19:33 02 Feb 2004

Older PC systems were limited in DOS to a hard disk capacity of 8.4GB. If need be this can now be overcome by drive overlay software available from the drive manufacturer. See here click here

R4 19:35 02 Feb 2004

If you do not know what Motherboard you have .....
Use Aida from here click here

or Belarce Advisor from here click here

They can tell you what your Mobo is the go to the maufacturers site and get the spec/manual for the mobo this will allow you to see what IDE spec is.

However most mobos can handle the currently available ATA/IDE Hard Disks OK but some very large HDD's could give a problem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?