Hard Drive Under Warranty

lochy 17:01 06 Feb 2007

I had the above sent back to the makers as it was knackered, and I understand that the company do not do data recovery so everything I had is lost.I read that all they do is check what caused the hard drive to fail and everything is then erased.

The question I would like to ask somebody is how do I back up data from the new hard disc so that I wont make the same mistake again.

ed-0 17:10 06 Feb 2007

" I had is lost.I read that all they do is check what caused the hard drive to fail and everything is then erased. "

they then evaluate what is wrong with the drive, if it is economic, they repair them and ship them off to those who claim warranty on the original hard drives. So in effect you could have someone's old repaired hard drive.

Either burn it to DVD disks, buy an external hard drive or an internal hard drive. On the last two clone the operating system and all the data over. The hard disk manufacturers website should have free software to do this.

lochy 17:34 08 Feb 2007

Many thanks for your help ed-o.It makes me think now that the Hard Drive I got for a replacement is in effect as you say, belonged to somebody
else.

Regards,

Lochy.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone