hard-drive trouble

Lord_Monkfish 11:22 01 Dec 2007

I bought a new PC last December, and when I got round to using it I found it frequently crashed. (as well as loss of data, including drivers!)

When booting the PC I am told that an error has occured on all three of the hard-drives (initially it was only one).

I sent the PC back and have been given 2 new hard-drives, but guess what! a few days later the same problem has occured, all three hard-drives occur an error.

I've been told by the company that the problem doesn't lie with the hard-drives therefore, and the problem lies with the motherboard.

Is this the likely culprit?

RobCharles1981 11:29 01 Dec 2007

All depending on your hard drive manufacturer you could download their Diagnostics disk to see if the hard drives are fine?

Lord_Monkfish 11:41 01 Dec 2007

before the two new drives were installed I tried using Seagates SeaTools, but the application didn't work (the drives are Seagates). However with the new drives SeaTools does work, and running the test "short drive self test", the answer is a fail. The help document says this could be down to bad sectors which I know I have, but again the problem couldn't initially have been hard-drives when they're brand new (the chance of been given 5 faulty hard-drives must be quite slim.)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?