Hard Drive Transfer

phildux 18:06 07 Nov 2007

Hello i want to transfer the data and info from one hard drive to another new one is there an idiot guide to this
Cheers
Phil

skidzy 18:14 07 Nov 2007

Are you saying you wish to backup your docs/pics etc or do you plan on removing the drive and replace with a bigger drive.

Acronis True Image will do all you ask and more.

johnnyrocker 18:15 07 Nov 2007

or a caddy and external drive and transfer what you wish.

johny.

phildux 18:21 07 Nov 2007

i want to be able to copy the whole contents of a hard drive

johnnyrocker 18:25 07 Nov 2007

in that case skidzy's idea is best

johnny.

skidzy 18:32 07 Nov 2007

click here

We really need to know you plan Phil.

Do you wish to replace the current drive with a bigger drive retaining all your info and settings ?

phildux 07:53 08 Nov 2007

i would like to transfer all the info from my old computers Hard Drive to a new Hard Drive. programs (i.e sage), documents, settings the whole lot. can these not be just connected to each other and away we go

Probabilitydrive 08:44 08 Nov 2007

No, because your HDD contains not only your OS, documents, application..etc. but also your MBR (Master Boot Record, a small program that is executed when a computer boots up) on second partition on your HDD.

I would wait till someone here confirms what to tick in 'Acronis', to copy this sector, as it is needed to boot.

FatboySlim71 09:03 08 Nov 2007

I'm sure that when you do a FULL BACKUP in Acronis and it has to be a FULL BACKUP, that this does exactly this,i.e. A FULL BACKUP including the MBR (master boot record)

phildux, below is the link to the Acronis True Image Forum. I know when I first got mine that they helped me out a lot.

click here

paul€ 10:08 08 Nov 2007

The new hard drive will either come with software or you can download it from the manufacturers web site, that will clone ( copy ) the whole hard drives contents, including windows, to the new hard drive. You will then just have to change a plastic jumper on the hard drive to make the machine boot from the new drive.

Is this a desktop machine or a laptop and what is the make and model number of the new hard drive, it will be printed on the top of the drive.

keef66 14:50 08 Nov 2007

Assuming it's a desktop:
1. Install the new HDD as slave
2. Clone the old disk onto the new one. Use HDD manufacturers software or something like Acronis True Image.
3. Refit the new HDD as master and remove the old one.
4. Fire up the pc and away you go.

I just did exactly this, going from an old 80 gb HDD that was virtually full to a new 250 gb one using Acronis. It wouldn't do the cloning from Windows though, I had to boot the pc from the Acronis disk.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017