Hard drive temperature

maidenlewes 17:38 02 Feb 2007

I have two Western Digital hard drives of 320GB each, on my SATA XP Media Edition, Dell Dimension E520 PC. I installed DiskCheckup to check the temperatures of the hard drives to find out that the 'master' was at 46 degrees Celsius and the 'slave' was 50 degrees Celsius. This alarmed because I thought a better working temperatures was around 35-40 degrees? And this wasn't even at full performance!

I've opened up the case and stuck a fan (hanging at the moment) in to cool it down for the moment, and the temperature rapidly dropped down to 40 degrees C where it seems to have stopped.

So, is 46 and 50 degrees as dangerous as I thought? What can I do to keep them cooler, with the knowledge that I can't change the case!

Thanks,
Max

maidenlewes 17:43 02 Feb 2007

They have continued to cool to 36 and 38 degrees now!

Technotiger 17:45 02 Feb 2007

Hi, your temps are within the normal limits. No need for concern.

Cheers

Technotiger 17:51 02 Feb 2007

The is an extract from a review of Seagate 400Gb sata drive ...

There are several solutions you can come up with these drives. Including Raid solutions or getting a faster drive for your primary and these as your secondary storage solutions like media or music. The drive’s performance isn’t bad either but I’ve heard some things regarding it getting hot but in my use, the drive’s temperature remained somewhat cooler. Speedfan reported 49 Deg Celcius as highest temperature in load and around 45 as normal idle temperature. So I don’t think the drive is getting too hot. The WD Raptor’s highest temperature was somewhere around 55 Deg.

Forum Editor 17:55 02 Feb 2007

on this subject. Most good hard drives will have a life expectancy of around 550,000/600,000 'power on' hours at an operating temperature (inside the drive) of around 25 degrees centigrade. That means that if left on permanently the drive might run for 68 years.

As the temperature rises the drive life might shorten, and the amount of the shortening will depend on how high the temperature goes. A rule of thumb that has been used in my office for years is that for every 10 degrees of rise there's a 50% decrease in drive life. That means a drive running continuously at 35 degrees will only last 34 years, and one running at 45 degrees will pack up in 19 years time.

I shouldn't start saving for a new drive just yet - give it 15 years or so.

maidenlewes 18:28 02 Feb 2007

crx1600, unfortunately there is no more space - it's a Dell PC!

X™ 18:36 02 Feb 2007

I've custom made my PC case, put fans around the hard drives, and DVD drives. But if you can mount the fan, leave it. It's an OK temperature.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 Hack Latest News: How Secure is your Wi-Fi?

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Comment utiliser Twitter ?