Hard Drive teetering on the brink of precipice

Declanworld 00:48 09 Nov 2014

I'm getting a variety of signs that my laptop drive is about to give up the ghost. The model no. is Toshiba MK5065GSXN.

Do I need to buy the exact same brand or can I get alternatives?

mole1944 05:38 09 Nov 2014

No need to have the same make,but you do need to save all your data otherwise it will be tears if the drive fails.If you get a Western Digital drive they do a cut down version of Acronis,you can then clone your old drive onto the new and go from there. I use it an both laptop and desktop for cloning the drive and it works for me.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:14 09 Nov 2014

Back up while you can

Get a new drive and clone the old one (as said by mole1994) there are many free programs to do this. I use macrium reflect to copy my drives.

mole1944 12:32 09 Nov 2014

Thanks Fruit Bat /\0/\ but WD version of Acronis is free as well,but will investigate your suggestion.

lotvic 22:58 09 Nov 2014

And Seagate 'DiskWizard' is also Acronis for free, for seagate or Maxtor drives. Works as long as you have one of those makes attached to your pc - can be an external hdd click here

I believe all the major hard drive manufacturers have a free version, suitably renamed to their own brand...

As has been said, the OP can buy any brand of Hard drive, 2.5-inch SATA HDD

Declanworld 23:31 09 Nov 2014

Thanks everyone for your great answers. I managed to get all my docs on to a pen drive, so I won't mind pasting them on to the new drive after installing W7.

This looks like a decent possibility.

mole1944 05:54 10 Nov 2014

I learn something every day lotvic,we are a good forum someone has problem and we all try to help.

robintheumpteenth 10:26 10 Nov 2014

New HDD is 7mm thickness, old is 9.5mm.

This is getting more common these days and may require a 2mm spacer to keep it fixed tightly in the caddy.

Some 7mm HDDs come with a spacer, otherwise buy one, or use a suitable bit of cardboard or rubber or foam strip to stop it moving during transport.

lotvic 11:05 10 Nov 2014

Thanks for that info robintheumpteenth, I didn't know about the thickness. Duly noted for future reference.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?