Hard Drive space decreases

highside 12:14 20 Sep 2008

Decided to uninstall stuff which I didn't want from the C drive, including Office Trial version and some smaller programs. Started with about 49GB
free space which has now decreased to about 47GB -how come removing files decreases available space? (as viewed in "Computer" of Windows Vista Basic. Where am I going wrong?
Removals were by Control Panel,CC and Revo.
Thanks.

peter99co 12:36 20 Sep 2008

It may be that System Restore is using additional space and is quite normal. How much space is allocated to system restore?

highside 13:39 20 Sep 2008

Thanks - can't find how much is allocated to system restore !

highside 13:49 20 Sep 2008

PS me again- have just done similar excerise on my other laptop which has XP on it and things happen as expected ie if I delete a program the free space (in My Computer) can be seen to immediately increase.

hiwatt 14:10 20 Sep 2008

System restore in vista by default uses a LOT of hardrive space.Turn off system restore and you'll gain lots more free space.To find out how to reduce the amount of space SR uses see click here

highside 14:32 20 Sep 2008

Did that and I see -
shadow copy storage space 2.84 GB
allocated shadow storage space 3.07 Gb
max shadow copy storage space 3.618 GB

If I were to turn Sys Restore on and off again would that therefore result in an increase of HD space with a new restore point in situ?

My XP PC is set as max (default presumably) to 12%
4.5GB aprox

canarieslover 15:09 20 Sep 2008

Yes, turn off system restore, reboot, turn it on again and set a new restore point.

highside 16:13 20 Sep 2008

Yes Thank you all, did it by finding Options in Disc clean Up and doing it from there.

Still seems odd to me that ridding yourself of something that is never ever going to be wanted causes a loss of space because its effectively kept anyway.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?