Hard Drive S.M.A.R.T Error

smoking44 19:26 05 Aug 2008

I have a WD 160gb hd which is reporting a smart error. This drive is 2 mths old (same replacement hd for previous which also developed a smart error after 2 yrs)

Are Western Digital drives prone to this or is it something that I have inadvertanly done.

Running Vista32 and do a lot of graphic work.

Have 2 other 80gb drives as storage with no problems.

Average temps of pc system is 32c with a max of around 45c-50c on full load.

Thanks for any help/info

grey george 20:36 05 Aug 2008

More info here click here
If only 2 months old send it back.

woodchip 21:17 05 Aug 2008

As above send it back. They are I don't think good drives

woodchip 21:18 05 Aug 2008

As above send it back. They are I don't think good drives

PS also what you may think is a new drive may be a Refurbished as thats what they do under warranty

paul€ 21:20 05 Aug 2008

all replacement drives are refurbished models.

Send it back.

UncleP 09:06 06 Aug 2008

You don't say what the SMART error was - and its significance depends on which parameter of the many that the system monitors generated the error message.

Indications of temperature fluctuations are not uncommon as device temperatures are affected by changes in the ambient temperature, the work load etc - and the SMART system puts much more emphasis on the change in a measured parameter than on its absolute value. Moreover, after two months the SMART system has barely settled down.

If it is not the HD temperature which is causing the error message, you need to look at the SMART record for the parameter that is. Against this you should find an estimated date of failure; if it's a year or more away, clearly you have plenty of time to check whether this is approaching steadily or is merely a product of the monitoring system or the HD settling in.

The possibility of failure of many electronic devices is higher at the beginning and end of their operating lives - the so-called bathtub effect - so you are sensible to be concerned about the significance of this error message. But SMART cannot warn of catastrophic failures, whether from mechanical problems or malware attacks, so you need to have a good back-up system in place to guard (at least) your important personal files against loss - but that's another story!

crosstrainer 09:13 06 Aug 2008

It's dying, backup and replace.

Arnie 11:05 06 Aug 2008

A couple of IT engineers I knew some time ago told me to disable S.M.A.R.T. error reporting.

Doe's it really work as well as it it's supposed to?

UncleP 20:28 06 Aug 2008

It's difficult to generalize, but my view is that it wouldn't be built into every HD made if it didn't have some value. But you do need to spend a little time getting to understand how it works, and what the limitations are, to get the best out of it.

I had a SMART utility running on the system disk in my previous computer, which threw up an error message when it was about five years old. The predicted failure date, initially about nine months ahead, did wander around to some extent, but it gave me plenty of time to make sure everything of value was backed up, and to buy a replacement. Eventually the number of bad sectors began to increase, and I replaced the HD with the new one.

My present machine has a RAID1 array backed up onto an external HD with Acronis TI, which I judge to be sufficient without becoming paranoid, so I don't use SMART at present.

woodchip 20:32 06 Aug 2008

Doe's it really work as well as it it's supposed to?

There is nothing fool proof in this world

smoking44 21:04 06 Aug 2008

Thanks for all the help and info.

The smart warning was an
ID 5 5 Reallocated Sector Count error.

In the proccess of backing up all data I need to.

Spoke to company about this error and a new hard drive should arrive tommorow.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Nokia 8 vs Galaxy S8

Best new design books 2017: From vintage infographics to the the psychology of type

iMac 21.5-inch (2017) review

Nokia 8 : design, caractéristiques techniques, date de sortie