Hard drive size problem

Totally-braindead 16:04 27 Mar 2006

Just noticed that my 2 80 gig SATA drives which I have set up in a RAID configuration are only reading as 127gb for the pair. Now I do remember that when I used the Seagate disk wizard it did say something about this and that I would have to reconfigure them once they were set up. Trouble is I'm not too sure how to do this. Anyone got a link to some advice of how to sort this out?

Totally-braindead 16:10 27 Mar 2006

I think I may know what it is, is it something to do with Service Pack 1 as I've found this click here now if I read this right my choices are create another partition using the extra space which I'm not all that keen on or erase the original partition and create a new one, but wouldn't this erase all data?

ezypcy 16:17 27 Mar 2006

Have a look MyComputer->Manage->Storage->Disk Management for drive sizes.If you can see the extra space format it.
You should be running SP2 hopefully.

ed-0 17:01 27 Mar 2006

Don't know if this is any use for you? Works on PATA drives, don't know about raid and SATA.;-)click here

Totally-braindead 17:25 27 Mar 2006

Thanks for that ed-0 but I'd rather try something else in case things go pear shaped. I've done what ezypcy suggested and created an extended partition what I'm wondering now is can I merge the 2 partitions into one and if so how. Can I do it with Windows or will I have to download some sort of Partition tool?

ed-0 18:33 27 Mar 2006

" Can I do it with Windows "

No, not with windows. You can with partitioning software, like Acronis or partition magic. Even using these it is advised to backup everything as things can go pair shaped.

Acronis was on a demo disk not so long ago.

woodchip 18:39 27 Mar 2006

You need Acronis Disc Director 10 I use it click here

Totally-braindead 19:29 27 Mar 2006

Thats what I thought guys thanks, thanks for the link as well woodchip I'll away give it a go.

Totally-braindead 19:32 27 Mar 2006

Ah just got to the download page and it says the demo won't allow you to apply changes. Bit of a shame but I'm not buying it as I don't think I'll use it enough to justify the cost. I guess I'll just have to stick with the drive being partitioned, never mind.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone