Hard drive shows wrong size

JohnDG 15:49 11 Jul 2007

After a re-installation of Windows Home on to my 'C' drive, my 'D' drive (320Gb) shows in BIOS 320 GB, but in 'My Computer' it shows 127GB capacity and 127GB space available and nothing used. It has appx.150GB of progs etc which I can no longer access
HELP!

uesquebeathus 16:18 11 Jul 2007

the method of sizing a harddrive is a constant argument believe me, makers mark then digitaly, and then it goes into a computer and shrinks.

the reasons why your drive is showing low could be because of several things,
the FAT File Allocation Table versions can only work to there limited values, Fat, Fat16, Fat32,Ntfs and each of them have a variety of versions each.
the BIOS on the an older motherboard may need its BIOS chip updated to enable it to recognize the larger harddrive dimensions,
the format tool that you used could be an old version which does not recognize or is able to format a drive larger than 127gb
the operating system format tool could be an old version
was there a floppy disk from the drive manufacturer with the hard drive, if so did you use that to format the new drive?
download SwissKnife from here click here

and then try and format the full drive.

find out what motherboard is installed in the computer and check the manufacturers web site for an update to the BIOS,

uesquebeathus 16:24 11 Jul 2007

the method of sizing a harddrive is a constant argument believe me, makers mark then digitaly, and then it goes into a computer and shrinks.

the reasons why your drive is showing low could be because of several things,
the FAT File Allocation Table versions can only work to there limited values, Fat, Fat16, Fat32,Ntfs and each of them have a variety of versions each.
the BIOS on the an older motherboard may need its BIOS chip updated to enable it to recognize the larger harddrive dimensions,
the format tool that you used could be an old version which does not recognize or is able to format a drive larger than 127gb Fat32 limit on some versions is 127gb newer versions can see bigger drives but a bigger drive is better to be partitioned as the sector blocks in fat32 can become to big and waste space,Ntfs can resolve that problem but you must use XP, Nt,Windows 2000,Vista to be able to work with that format.
the operating system format tool could be an old version
was there a floppy disk from the drive manufacturer with the hard drive, if so did you use that to format the new drive?
download SwissKnife from here click here

and then try and format the full drive.

find out what motherboard is installed in the computer and check the manufacturers web site for an update to the BIOS,

[email protected] 16:39 11 Jul 2007

Have you re-installed SP2? This should rectify it.
Have a read here:
click here

robbiepaul79 16:44 11 Jul 2007

Im thinking you are running service pack 1 this 'caps' hard drives to 127BG where SP2 is closer to 2TB i believe

JohnDG 19:12 11 Jul 2007

Service pack 2 is on my XP Home dvd and I have full formatted again and reinstalled Windows on the 'C' drive and the 'My Computer STILL says my 'D' drive is a 127GB drive and empty, so my problem is still there!!!!!!!!!!!
BIOS reads it as 320GB and it has/had about 150GB of progs an music on it.
It is a Home build ( by me) and worked well until I had to format the 'C' drive.
I can get hold of a copy of Windows XP pro and may try installing that to see if that solves it.

paul€ 19:30 11 Jul 2007

If I have read you posting correctley. You had a 'C' drive of 320Gb with 150Gb of music and files. You formated the 'C' drive and now have a disk with at least two partitions.

If that is right then you have wiped all the old data off the disk because you have formatted it. Or am I wrong and you had all the data on a seperate partition?

JohnDG 19:32 11 Jul 2007

Swiss Army Knife did it, BUT lost everything on 'D' drive, but at least now have a 320GB drive working,

Is there any way of getting the progs I lost back?

[email protected] 08:49 12 Jul 2007

Seems like you got yourself into a bit of a fix. Shame really as you always had your full capacity - it was just Windows telling you otherwise, a visual indication and nothing more. With successive updates from MS after your re-install, everything would have been OK.
Paragon Partition Manager 8 Personal is available free, and I can recommend it. This gives you considerable control over your drives, but be careful...;-)
click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017