hard drive security on a faulty model returned

Churston 17:03 04 Sep 2009

I have purchased an Acer Veriton L410. Sadly it is faulty and is being replaced by a new one.
The faulty machine will not boot up. How should I go about retrieving the data from the faulty machine?
Churston

Jak_1 17:28 04 Sep 2009

You could try putting the drive into a usb and see if it is readable, however I suspect that it will fail. If you can read it, transfer all data files to the new drive. I take it you didn't make a backup! The only other way would be to have data retieved by professionals, however this can be very expensive and cost more than the files are worth.

Churston 20:23 04 Sep 2009

Jak_1 thanks for your interest and concern.
When you say 'putting the drive into a usb' - how would you do this? I had thoughts of hooking up another computer, but am not sure how.
Churston

Technotiger 20:31 04 Sep 2009

What Jak_1 means is a USB Hard drive enclosure, make sure you get one that is suitable for your drive - IDE or SATA etc.

click here

Technotiger 20:36 04 Sep 2009

Or, with one of these kits you can hook it up to any other computer - also a very useful kit to always have at hand ...

click here

Cheaper and easier too than a USB Enclosure.

Jak_1 20:39 04 Sep 2009

Whoops, typo! Thanks Technotiger, that was exactly what I meant. Must read what I have written before I post next time!

Churston 20:45 04 Sep 2009

Thanks guys, I do know what you mean. I'll have a go

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?