hard drive replacement

bigduvat 19:31 30 Dec 2009

I have a dell inspiron 6400 (60gb hard drive)with windows vista system. As I wasn't able to to clear the hard drive, I tried to replace it with a 180gb hard drive but unfortunately when I tried to start the PC a message appeared on screen saying "no boot sector on internal drive" and then another message saying "press F2 for set-up utility" Can anyone help me?

Terry Brown 20:19 30 Dec 2009

It looks like the system is telling you you need to install a program on the blank Harddrive before it can boot.

You need the Vista CD to install the system, before you can run the new Harddrive.

If the original drive is still in working order, try using that as the Master drive and making the new drive as a slave.

If you have corupted the Vista installation, the only solition is re-install from a Vista (or XP or Windows 7) CD.
Terry

bigduvat 22:34 31 Dec 2009

after I had put in a new hard drive & reinstalled the operating system (windows vista) I found that the @ sign had moved on the keyboard and could be printed by pressing shift and striking number 2 key.
Shall I try to fix this or leave it.?

Strawballs 00:25 01 Jan 2010

It set's up for USA by default, go to control panel > Reginal and language then change settings to UK

bigduvat 14:19 01 Jan 2010

did as you said-now operating normally,thank you very much (A HAPPY NEW YEAR TO YOU)

Strawballs 19:13 01 Jan 2010

All good then

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?