Hard drive recovery

Mike2002 20:21 06 May 2008

My 3 year-old HDD failed and refused to boot. I tried a CD of DOS-based programs to see if any files could be recovered. One program 'Winternals Disk Commander' presented me with an explorer-type two-pane view of all the folders and files, so I was hopeful of some results.

I bought a new drive, and transferred the faulty one to an external caddy. The latter wasn't recognised by the system. I tried the recovery CD again, but a lot of programs only recognised the C:\ drive, and not my Slave or the (faulty) external drive ('Winternals Disk Commander' included).

Two programs, 'Recover my Files', and 'O&O Disk Recovery' listed all the drives, and 0&O recovered tens of thousands of files (some perfect, some useless), but the amount of duplicates was staggering.

Is there any program that can restore the file structure of the disk, and present me with a list of the files and folders - or has that part gone for good.

BurrWalnut 20:43 06 May 2008

Have you tried chkdsk via either the Windows CD or ERD Commander (now Winternals)?

Jollyjohn 20:46 06 May 2008

I can recommend this click here

Mike2002 19:15 07 May 2008

BurrWalnut: The ERD Commander recovery CD just booted me into Windows, I couldn't find a way of getting it to look at my external drive.

Jollyjohn: Do I have to run TestDisk from a boot CD?
As I stated before, most of these applicationsare geared to looking at your main system drive.

rossgolf 19:18 07 May 2008

i use ERD commander regularly for deleting persistent viruses or for data recovery..i have often used an external HDD which worked very well

Mike2002 22:42 07 May 2008

Does ERD Commander recover your files with their original names, or just File0001 etc?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?