Hard Drive Question

woodchip 13:24 03 Jan 2014

I have a Samsung Netbook, according to Windows Explorer I have two Hard Drives C:\ Shows as a normal drive. that as E:/recovery Partition on it, but also as a D:\Drive that shows as a USB drive I take it that this may be a Sata SSD drive.

woodchip 18:30 03 Jan 2014

Woolwell 18:47 03 Jan 2014

Which model Samsung Netbook? Does it have an SSD?

woodchip 19:12 03 Jan 2014

Samsung NC10 the D:\ drive shows as a USB drive in Windows Explorer, n device manage the hard drive shows up as a fugitsu mhz210bh g2

alanrwood 19:40 03 Jan 2014

Have you got a memory card inserted in the card reader. I have an NC-10 and don't have this problem. How is the Recovery Drive being shown at all. Are you looking in through the Disk Management facility in Control Panel\Admin Tools.

woodchip 23:10 03 Jan 2014

No it does not have a SD card in the drive. The Netbook was new when I bought it, Having a 160Gb hard drive but its not as such Consists as C:\ 88Gb as a normal Disc Drive D:\ 54.9Gb as Icon shows a Memory stick showing as a usb icon, it does not have one in the USB slots its built in as part of the other drive, recovery partition in disc manager is 6.01 Gb this is a Hidden Partition as it does not show in Windows Explore this is a XP home Netbook, was provided with both system restore disc and xp system disc so full install can be done if needed

alanrwood 10:40 04 Jan 2014

As I said I have one of these myself although I have swapped out the original 160GB spinner drive and installed a 256GB SSD. There is no SSD installed as a cache drive in this model as supplied new. Also the drive was originally only a C: drive and Recovery partition.

Just for clarity, I was referring to the built in card reader on the front edge about an inch from the right hand edge and with a matching coloured blank card inserted.

If you don't have anything important on the D drive why not just delete the partition and recreate it as a logical partition in the same space. Alternatively copy any important stuff to the C drive or an external USB stick as temporary storage. Reinstalling the whole thingt is a major pain with all the 200 and odd updates that then need installing together with all the programs etc.

Woolwell 12:32 04 Jan 2014

The main drive must have been partitioned into C and D drive. Suspect that the symbols for D drive are incorrect. I'm not sure if it came partitioned. Did you partition it?

woodchip 19:31 04 Jan 2014

The Drive and Netbook is just as it was Supplied, So if windows is showing some kind of Memory for D:\ then it points to me to a Hybrid drive. Though it is D:\ that shows it as such, it is 55GB for D:\ also the Netbook boots and shuts down Faster than a HP Laptop with a Centrino 2.12Ghz Pentium M that I have. Battery Life for the Netbook is in the order of about 9 hours

Woolwell 15:49 05 Jan 2014

Samsung state that the hard drive is a 160GB (5,400rpm S-ATA). Highly unlikely to be a hybrid.

woodchip 19:46 05 Jan 2014

Then Why the 55Gb Memory Dongle Icon

As you said, that is what I thought it was until I looked in Windows Explorer or Double Click My Computer ICON where it displays the above drive

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?